Good Idea? Buying (Broadwell) 15" rMBP then selling it when Skylake comes out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevAndy, Jul 5, 2014.

  1. DevAndy macrumors member

    DevAndy

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    #1
    Broadwell is likely to come out this fall, with Skylake coming out Q4 next year (I know it hasn't been confirmed, but let's assume these dates).

    Broadwell may be a minor refresh, but has much higher resale value compared to its 250 days+ outdated 2013 model. How much should I expect to pay to upgrade my $2300 i7 8GB/516GB Broadwell rMBP for the equivilent 2015 Skylake version?

    I understand it varies, but a rough estimate (even from people who've upgraded their MBPs before) would be great.

    Gazelle is out of the question, they quoted a flawless one at 50% retail.
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    I think buying/selling like that is a losing proposition.

    What will skylake give you over broadwell. I'd say the state of processors are such that even Ivy Bridge processors are more then enough for the majority of people, never mind Haswell, or Broadwell.
     
  3. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #3
    1.900 USD maybe.

    But I guess for your stated computational needs, even Cannonlake will not suffice.

    I would look into a dual CPU 32-core Xeon workstation with 256 GB RAM, those will allow you to use 10 tabs in Chrome easier than any current outdated machine is not capable of.
     
  4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #4
    These are questions that cannot be answered. No one knows when these machines will drop, how much they will be, how well they will sell etc. Just buy the machine you need and if you feel the need to upgrade when the new one comes out, just sell your current machine and purchase a new one. You will always be losing money if you have to have the newest machine possible. With Mac's however, you do lose the least money since their resale value is very good.
     
  5. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

    DevAndy

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    #5
    Seems like I'll go with the Xeon 256, thanks!
     
  6. Sifinity macrumors 6502

    Sifinity

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2014
    Location:
    Texas
    #6
    broadwell isn't coming till Q1-Q2 2015 ; so unless you plan on waiting a good 8 mnths for a laptop lol no point on planning on selling it now ; imo i would not sell something i waited 8 months for
     
  7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    #7
    Exactly. My predicition is Broadwell comes out in June 2015 and skylake in october 2015.

    And in fact these leaked CPU roadmap confirms it.
    http://thepcenthusiast.com/intel-broadwell-skylake-release-date-revealed/

    http://thepcenthusiast.com/5th-gen-intel-broadwell-processors-release-date/

     
  8. Sifinity macrumors 6502

    Sifinity

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2014
    Location:
    Texas
    #8
    imo june 2015 is a bit late ; the early 2015 (march ) seems like the perfect time ; also idk i have a feeling if apple does a spec bump its going to be july/august ; which would give it 8 months for broadwell
     
  9. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    Location:
    London
    #9
    When my Jetsons Jetpack Blaster 1.5 comes out in 22 months, should I plan on reselling it immediately for the FusionBlast upgrade, or just hold off until Fusion Jetpacks are released 6 months later?

    Note: sarcasm
     
  10. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

    DevAndy

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    #10
    The Apple Store doesn't sell Xeon... looks like I'll wait for Broadwell.

    ----------

    I would say wait.

    Thank you all for the amazing advice :D

    [​IMG]
     
  11. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #11
    It does, though not the configuration you need. You will be limited to a single 12-core Xeon CPU with only 64 to 128 GB RAM, thus 4 out of 10 tabs need to be closed.
    Or you get a 2004 iBook, it can have more than ten tabs open.
     
  12. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

    DevAndy

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    #12
    True, I guess I'll buy it online?

    128GB is the low end for me, as I'll need 10+ tabs open at a time. Basically, something that is sufficient to run MacRumors without lag/ zoom in/ out seamlessly, while running 9 videos.

    Should I get the 512GB model? Will also look into the FusionBlast the other fellow mentioned. I've heard some great things about Xeon. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2273978
     
  13. andeify macrumors 6502

    andeify

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #13
    Recently I've been thinking about buying and selling a year later but today I saw a £2200 spec, one month old, Haswell 15" go for £1400 on eBay
     
  14. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

    DevAndy

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    #14
    It's probably scratched. Could you link me to it?
     
  15. andeify macrumors 6502

    andeify

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #15
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121375478058?redirect=mobile
     
  16. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

    DevAndy

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2014
    #16
    Ah I see, it's in Euros. I recently got a 2013 (new) one with the same specs at Bestbuy for $200 more, so it's not anything huge.
     
  17. andeify macrumors 6502

    andeify

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #17
    I see it in pounds, £1420.

    ----------

    Anyway, it's scared me off, I wish you luck if you go for it.
     

Share This Page