Good monitor for graphic design to pair with 2014 rMBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macjoshua, Nov 8, 2014.

1. macjoshua macrumors 6502

I'm looking at a bunch of different monitors to go with my 2014 rMBPP. I do mostly web design and coding, but also pick up the occasional print project. Here are the ones I'm considering:

• Apple Thunderbolt Display: This seems to be just an ok monitor, but the benefit of the Thunderbolt hub is tempting
    • NEC PA272W: More pricey, but probably worth the extra $$
    • NEC EA244UHD: 4k would be sweet, though it's also pricey
    • Asus PA279Q: This is my top contender, but I've heard it has problems with color modes over Thunderbolt. Has that been fixed yet?

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

I've had the ASUS PA27Q for about 6 months. I can't say enough good things about this monitor. I really like the pre-calibrated settings. I run mostly in Adobe RGB mode. It has served me well for web design and video editing. 10 bit with a wide gamut. Can't really beat it for the price.

Like you I also looked at the NEC monitors and the Apple TBD. I liked the NEC monitors but thought they were too expensive. The Apple TBD just seemed too outdated. While I think NEC might have the better display in terms of quality, I didn't think the price was worth it. I gave ASUS a shot because I wanted a monitor that I could use professionally but also use for gaming. Monitor works great for both.

Most of the problems with the monitor went away when Apple updated Mavericks (and now Yosemite) to not designate the monitor as a television. Now OS X has the correct EDID for this monitor and others. You shouldn't have any issues with texture or color modes. I just installed Yosemite on my 2013 rMBR and the monitor works perfectly.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If the graphics are aimed at websites, you will only need to support the sRGB color gamut. No need for wide gamuts like Adobe or ProPhoto. That means you do not have to spend extra for a wide gamut monitor.

4. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help! I have one these monitors on the way.