Good monitor for my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carlosteles, Aug 16, 2015.

1. carlosteles macrumors newbie

carlosteles

Hi guys!

I really need a external monitor for my Macbook Pro (mid 2010). I need more space of work.
    I work as designer, and I need move myself frequently, so I can't buy a Imac for this...

Well, I did a research and found a good monitor, the Dell Ultrasharp U2414H. Anyone have it? Is Good? I'm just really worry about the image quality in comparacion with my macbook... I don't want a monitor with bad colors, without life.

Anyone?

Thanks so much,
    Carlos Teles from Brazil.

2. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

3. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

4. carlosteles thread starter macrumors newbie

carlosteles

Good. Do you use with a Mac? Any problem with quality image?

5. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

No, I use an Apple Thunderbolt Display with my MacBook Pro. I use the Dell monitor with my Dell XPS Desktop. The color and text quality are excellent with the Dell monitor.

6. carlosteles thread starter macrumors newbie

carlosteles

There big difference between Thunderbold Display and Dell U2414H (quality image)?

Thanks
    Carlos

7. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

I have had the ATD since March 2012. The display is excellent and larger than the Dell. The downside is the ATD has older ports (USB 2 and hasn't been updated by Apple). The Dell has USB 3 ports. I believe that Apple will likely exit the Monitor Market which is a shame since the ATD really stands out aesthetically. It really looks good setting on your desk whether it is on or off.

8. carlosteles thread starter macrumors newbie

carlosteles

I understand . Well, I am just really between buy a dell or buy a Imac. But, if I choose the last one, I will loose the mobility, that I like.

9. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro is a 3 month old Retina 15" and it's hooked to the ATD via Thunderbolt Cable. I have a 2011 MacBook Air that I mostly use when I want to travel light. Both have Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 installed so there is no problem with moving documents between the Windows and Mac environments. The larger ATD screen comes in handy when I do photo editing with Adobe Photoshop.

10. dimme macrumors 65816

If color is important you should look at the DellUltraSharp U2413 24" I use one at work doing prepress and I have the older on at home using it with my rMBP. I also do photography so color calibration and the larger color space is important to me.

11. DFWHD macrumors regular

The U2414H is a great monitor. I used one for about 6 months or so while waiting for the U2715H to be released.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

13. carlosteles thread starter macrumors newbie

carlosteles

The dell u2414h comes with Display port cable for mac? I will need a adapter ?
    Do you know?

14. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

You will need a Thunderbolt to Display Port cable to use the Dell Monitor.

15. Raublinger65 macrumors newbie

My Retina MBP has an HDMI port and can be connected to the Dell U2414H directly (HDMI to HDMI)

16. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

You mean you do NOT need a Thunderbolt cable but a much less expensive DP to mini DP to use the Dell. DP uses a Thunderbolt port.

17. Ray2, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I have both a 2560 Cinema Display at one home and the Dell u2414h at another. I much prefer the Dell. Much easier on the eyes, excellent color. Look into what it takes to calibrate their LUT before you buy. If you want calibration on the u-series you will need to use Bootcamp and a specific model X-Rite. I did not calibrate, or have yet to.

I run it at one step below max res in Display Pref's and zoom text (which holds between restarts). Works well for screen space with Lightroom and not killing my eyes.

The Dell's build quality is a large step below Apple's. But then it's less than half the price and has much better adjustability.

18. carlosteles thread starter macrumors newbie

carlosteles

But I need calibrate or can I use the default setup?

19. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Hi Carlos,

I use my 15'' rMBP with an ATD. In case you were still considering the ATD, I wanted to let you know that I don't think the display is compatible with any MBP prior to 2011. Just thought you should keep this in mind.

20. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

They're factory calibrated. My distribution is web only, to a wide range of displays that are not calibrated. I'm ok with not calibrating. People who print or shoot for print need to calibrate. There are probably plenty of other commercial clients who would require color accurate files and also need to.

You know your needs. Probably if you need to ask, like me, you don't need to.

21. carlosteles thread starter macrumors newbie

carlosteles

Thanks guys, I buy the Dell UU2414H. I hope that is good to me. Thanks so much everybody.

Carlos