Good News: a Momentus XT update is out! Bad news: I'm running FileVault 2

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sjinsjca, Sep 16, 2011.

1. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Okay, so a shiny new drive firmware update is available from Seagate for their novel Momentus XT hybrid drive, bringing the rev to SD28: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=215451

...For non-Windows users, they offer an .iso which you can easily burn to a CD using Disk Utility. Then you just boot from the CD, riiiight?

Well. If, like me, you're rocking Lion and have engaged Apple's flippin' marvelous new whole-disk encryption, FileVault 2, you'll find it's not so easy. You need to boot while holding down command-R to show the bootable disks in your system. And that seems to not include bootable CDs!

I guess this is a security feature, but dang, I can see legitimate times when booting from CD (or a USB thumb drive) is a necessary thing to do. Is this not possible with FileVault 2?

Am I forever stuck with stale firmware?

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You should be able to boot while holding down the "c" key. This forces a boot to the DVD drive.

-Kevin

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Holding option will also display all bootable drives/devices. Holding cmd+r is to boot the recovery partition, and only the recovery partition.

4. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Argh! I didn't even try that-- erroneously thought cmd-R was now required.

It worked a treat. Thanks!

5. nub4lyfe macrumors newbie

thanks for the heads up. any chance that u know wat was added into sd28?

6. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

7. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

I dont know what happened i had sd25 as 26 and 27 I never saw come up on the site for seagate. The thing is my drive is now fast on lion again as it was for snow leopard. It shuts down fast again and restarts fast again that includes cold boot up.

8. btownguy macrumors 6502

I've been running a Momentus XT in my mid-2009 MBP for almost 2 years now. No problems at all. Did a clean install of Lion last week. No problems. Is there any reason I would want to update to this?