Good News for FAN Discount Peeps (discounted 200MB/2GB data plans)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wickywahwah, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wickywahwah macrumors regular

as i've been eagerly anticipating the new iPhone (my first), for the past couple of months i have gone into my account to check upgrade eligibility and to get an idea of pricing with my FAN discount (25% off). before at&t announced the new data tiers, i was able to save 25% off my base plan, and 25% off the unlimited data ($22.50) with a 3G or 3GS. i was a little miffed at the data tier announcement because i thought i would have to pay the full $25 for 2GB vs. $22.50 for unlimited if i upgraded now rather than wait for the new phone.

curious if anything has changed just before WWDC, i logged in again to check pricing. i have often heard it repeated that the FAN discount only applies to account features of $30 or more (i just assumed this was the case). however, this time the data tiers are now available (unlimited is also still available; i'm assuming until tomorrow) they are BOTH discounted even though they are $15 and $25 originally. here's what i found:

DataPro 2GB for iPhone Personal Tethering
    25% Service Discount
    $33.75
    Originally $45.00
    2GB

DataPlus 200MB for iPhone Personal
    25% Service Discount
    $11.25
    Originally $15.00
    200 MB

DataPro 2GB for iPhone Personal
    25% Service Discount
    $18.75
    Originally $25.00
    2GB

Data Plan for iPhone (this will probably disappear tomorrow)
    25% Service Discount
    $22.50
    Originally $30.00
    Unlimited

i was wondering how at&t would handle the apparent discrepancy for FAN discounted accounts ($22.50 for unlimited vs $25 for 2GB). i don't know if this applies to all FAN discounts, but this will make it much easier for me to stomach a 2GB cap :)

2. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Good to know, one of my complaints with the new data plans have been addressed

4. manjaap macrumors member

so the whole visual voicemail/no visual voicemail i guess implies they are still on counting the visual voicemail against your data...does anyone know how much data on average visual voicemail takes?

5. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

i wondered about that, i wasn't sure why the distinction, but it makes sense if it counts against your data usage. i have no idea on how much that uses though, sorry.

6. mwxiao macrumors regular

7. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

better than nothing :D

i'm sure there is a lot of variation in the way the different discounts work. i can't find anything on specific terms for mine through at&t, they just refer you back to your company representative for details (i have no idea who that is). i work for a large corporation (150K employees) so that's probably why our discount is on the larger side.

8. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

How do you get all those options? I have a FAN account but I don't seem to be getting discounted data.. this is what my features page looks like.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I think it depends on your FAN discount. Mine doesn't apply to anything other than minutes.

10. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

i get those options when i go to upgrade my phone in the premier store (i'm not a current iphone owner). it may be different if you're not upgrading or your FAN discount may have different terms. i'm no expert on these things, but there seems to be a fair amount of variability for FAN users.

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

My fan discount is pretty good 21% but for some reason it is only off voice and texting it doesn't apply to my data plan

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Mine is an individual school FAN. Discount off voice and data.

13. japresl macrumors member

On the same FAN discount note...I had one through my previous job. I was laid off, and completely forgot about having the FAN discount until just now seeing this thread. Should I contact AT&T and have them remove or? Or will they even know that I'm no longer employed at the company? Will it potentially come up when I upgrade my phone?

What would you do?

14. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I see the same thing. I get a 17% discount through my dads company. The 200MB plan costs $12.45 while the 2GB plan costs $20.75

Nice find.

15. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

16. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Just a FYI.....Remember last time?

You wont be pre ordering or even buying your phone from Apple if you get the AT&T FAN discount.

Been there, done that. Dont want to even go into what I went through dealing with this when the 3G first came out.

Unless things have drastically changed, To get your FAN, you'll have to pre order from AT&T. I had to go to the store to pick up my 3Gs on the first day, which was something I dreaded doing. I sure hope they will ship to your house this time.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

15% here... better than nothing.

18. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

i wondered about that, but with the nearest apple store about 40 miles away, i'll be dealing with at&t one way or another. i don't mind picking it up at att or having it delivered if that's possible

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

22%, but I don't think any of my features are discounted, so the discount is kind of worthless. It does let me add the best feature:
    [​IMG]

Consider it's [usually] the only internet connection I have when I travel, it's worth it. I use less than 2GB at home of course, but abroad more than 2GB a day.

20. Nino313 macrumors member

I get 28% off voice and data, but I don't see the new plans yet

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What is that package you show?

22. wickywahwah thread starter macrumors regular

just checked again, unlimited plans are gone, the end of an era :(

23. bat95132 macrumors member

I feel like bragging too hehe... I have 28% LOL

24. Redsand187 macrumors member

25. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Same here :D