Good news for the iPhone: Nokia N97 has sold only 500k units

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freak, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Freak macrumors newbie

Ok, I know that this doesn't really have anything to do with the iPhone itself, but I think that it is good to know about the competition on the market :)

http://www.eilimo.fi/index.php/2009...at-nokia-n97-has-sold-only-500k-units-so-far/

According to the finnish business magazine Kauppalehti, the nokia N97 has sold only 500k units worldwide since it's launch. Compare that to the iPhone 3GS sales of over 1 million units in one weekend!

I think that is a WIN for Apple :)

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If there's one thing i've learnt from Nokia is never buy their phones as is during launch...especially the Nseries. Always, without fail buggy as heck.

3. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Typical fanboy, probably under the age of 18 too. Who cares? I feel sorry for people in life who have to supplement their decision purchase items based on what is popular.

4. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

In the UK the Nokia N97 has been selling quite well on Vodafone.

It isn't cheap, expect to pay around £40 a month on a 24 month contract.

On the whole. I'm not too impressed with the phone. It is a lovely phone to hold but I think the screen quality isn't quite good enough and the software is slow. 412 MHz processor in the phone.

5. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Yea, it's almost as bad as people who have to buy something not popular to prove how different they are...

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Not to spoil your enthusiasm and all considering your newbie status and all, but I was hoping to see “Good news for the iPhone: Nokia N97 has sold only 500k units…and I made a killing on my Apple Stock."

Instead, I see more misplaced Apple fandom. If you are not profiting from this news, then in the reality that is your life, this news is meaningless. If this information can’t help you buy more Apple products, than your not a real Apple fan, your just an Apple wanna be.:p

7. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

In some ways it shows how much 'right-er' Apple did it with the iPhone.

But in other ways I'd like to see bigger challenges in order to force Apple to bring out features that can already be supported instead of doling them out piecemeal.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I think that mainly has to do with the fact that its mostly an unlocked phone, where iPhone is mostly a carrier phone. If iPhone was unlocked and carier free people would be really reluctant to drop $700 on a phone, just like they are with the N97.

Its not the best phone the N97, but its not bad.

-Omi

9. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Nope. It's actually a bad news for us.

iPhone needs more competition. It will only make iPhone even better.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Exactly.

I can't believe the amount of people on here who don't understand this.

11. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Totally agree this is bad news for iPhone users.

The more market share apple have the more they will continue to treat us like pricks and bend us over at every opportunity just as they do now.

12. Matti macrumors regular

N97 hasn't sold as well as expected, but the article OP quotes has error in it. That 500K isn't since launch, but Q2 2009. N97 was launched in mid-june, so it should be "500k in two weeks" instead of "since launch".

It will be interesting to see figures for Q3, because N97 wasn't really availeable from carriers until july. 500k in two weeks is not great but still decent for unsubsidized sales.

13. marcmarcdv macrumors regular

N97 is an **** fone...... its slown and it always crash.... i think people who buy the n97 will think it an bad choices afte using it for an day... they they should condside buy an iphone for it speed an apps....

Nokia have got no idea how to make an fone.. the only good fone they ever made was the n95..

bad lucky nokia.. maybe next time

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

One thing I've learned about Nokia is never buy their phones ever as they have the worlds worst operating system and that completely destroys any potential for joy in using the device.

15. fishstacks macrumors member

I've had two Nokia phones not work, straight out of the box.

16. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

17. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

would not be even slightly out of the ordinary...

18. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Rubbish

OOOOHHHHH. What do we win. Fight the evil nokia. They will infect our christian children and spread ills and diseases to our iphone. We must fight the iphone with all our mights. Your children may lose there lives but as long as they haven't sold over a million units then we can breathe a little easy FOR NOW. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. Supersonic macrumors regular

Having seen the N97 in person, its a complete dog of a phone, buggy, slow processor which is woefully underpowered and battery hungry.

Its gonna need a MkII upgrade pretty soon before its resigned to the hall of doom. Pity, as its a good phone if it worked as well as it could....

20. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Frankly I don't think Apple cares.

I doubt they see any phone in the near future as an immediate threat to the combination of their iPhone and iTunes / App Store.

I certainly don't feel better knowing this in the slightest. Competition is very important for the market. But then again, don't forget that Nokia still is the largest phone manufacturer worldwide.