Good photograhy program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seahawk09, Jul 2, 2007.

1. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I will be buying a Macbook in the near future for my photography habit I was wondering could someone recommend a good program to buy with my mac when i get it:)

Thanks

Richard:)

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

are you looking for somthing for editing images, if you are then if you can afford it Photoshop, for organization of the pictures iPhoto works well, if you don't like it after trying it get the trials of apeture and lightroom, and get whichever one you like best.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Really hard to beat Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 for $80, IMHO.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Definitely, I'd say that if iPhoto isn't enough, PS Elements is a really excellent starter photo app. It'll give you a lot of power at a reasonable price.

5. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Well, the notable ones are Aperture, iPhoto, Photoshop CS3, and Lightroom.
    However, three of those are more advanced programs, which wouldn't suit you if you are only a casual photo editor. If you do fall into that category, stick with iPhoto and get Photoshop Elements.

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

CS3 runs like a dream on my 2GHz CD BlackBook (1 gig RAM). I found Aperture to be pretty sluggish, but Lightroom seems reasonably responsive.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Aperture is a great program, I've been playing around with the demo and you can do some very cool things with your photos with it. Plus it makes organising them a breeze.

8. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

LightZone is a program that rarely gets mentioned. If you like the Zone System, give it a try as they have a trail download.

9. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Hey not understanding this :( :eek:

Why is nobody from the everything thats open source is great brigade that roam these boards not saying GIMP

Oh please say GIMP so I can take the p*** out of you :p

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The GIMP is great for some things but in this instance I think Aperture (or maybe iPhoto) would be better.

11. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Of course, there's the old standard, GraphicConverter. The nice part about this application is the breadth of image types it will open and save as. Also, you can do batch conversions from one type to another. Lossless image rotation. Of course, it doesn't have any of the advanced features you find in Photoshop Elements, but I find it meets almost all of my needs.

12. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

I agree, but I'd really try to wait until PSE 5.0 is released so it is a Universal Binary. 4.0 is pretty slow on my MacBook.

13. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Aperture is good, I like it a lot, but I do find myself doing a few little bits and bobs with most photos in photoshop after I have used aperture. I guess though most of this could easily be done in elements, so maybe elements and aperture would be a good combination. (aperture runs fine on my macbook original, the more ram the better though).