Good places to eat in London...central area

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by daneoni, May 25, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I feel kinda stupid asking this seeing as i actually live in London but wanted to find out the places that MR members prefer to eat

So i'd appreciate any suggestions...decently priced suggestions with veg options on the menu...in central London area

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Vegetarian Burger at McDonalds is always a nice option.

Seriosuly though what is your price range where abouts in central london?

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

£15-£20 should be about right as for area...as long as its not outskirts like dagenham or deptford or anything like that im good. Somewhere in Soho or close to O2 arena

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

im sure you could find RAVE reviews of London's food systemz

5. djellison macrumors 68020

Wagamamma's is good ( there are several in London ) or Giraffe, which is on the South Bank.

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I've had wagamama and it is good. Havent heard of Giraffe but it looks good so im adding it to the list

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Spaccanapoli : Almost certainly the best pizza in London. And the pasta is good to.
    Busaba : Decent Thai food at a reasonable price.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yeah, and if you get any sort of decent service at Giraffe I'll be shocked. For each of the 3 locations [and several times] I've been to the service has always been appallingly bad. I want to like them as they have a few good foody items (falafel burger is surprisingly good) but the people that work there always disappoint. They are also of the variety of cheeky bastards that automatically add the tip onto your bill. I guess they have to because no one would tip willingly after having such awful service. Just sayin'.

The place in Soho I was going to recommend has recently been closed down. Stupid economy.

9. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just remembered the Lahore Kebab House. Sounds sketchy, looks worse! Down a side-street etc. But the food is amazing and it's pretty cheap. It's also BYO for booze. Gets amazingly busy (I've seen a queue of about 40 people waiting for tables) so get there early.

11. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I've found Giraffe to be more of a family/tourist restaurant in atmosphere and in menu...

In Soho, try Yauatcha for lovely dim sum. Price wise it is more £20-30 (depending on your appetite and alocohol consumption I suppose).
    http://www.urbanpath.com/london/chinese/yauatcha.htm

For a really good Italian (surprisingly hard to find) Vasco & Piero's Pavilion.
    http://www.vascosfood.com/

I've recently discovered some exceedingly good Michelin Star restaurants normally way out of my budget do a much more affordable set lunch menu during the week, if you ever have a day off. This place is exceptional http://www.gordonramsay.com/murano/menus/setlunch/ as is Maze, which you can find on the same website.

Now I'm hungry!

Best Pizza in London? Big claim! I've got to try it out for myself now, and see if it is as good as Franco Manca's in Brixton.

http://francomanca.co.uk/

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mmm, that also sounds good. Maybe good enough to go to Brixton. The place I suggested is similar: real pizza made from proper dough cooked in a traditional oven. None of this thick-base rubbish :D

13. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Umm... Paradiso is quite a nice Italian on Store Street... Just off Tottenham Court Road. Thai Metro is good on Charlotte Street. In fact there are loads of nice places on Charlotte Street.

My all time favourite restaurant in London is Blah Blah Blah. It's a bit far out in Shepherds Bush but it's amazing. It's BYO too so you can bring the price down a little there. It's all veggie but you really don't miss the meat.

14. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Must warn you though, I went on a saturday and got there half hour before opening (I think for 11.30ish). You are allowed to grab a table even though they are not open. When we left there was a queue of about 20-30 people waiting to sit. Was worth getting there early... it helps I live a ten minute walk away though :D

I'm looking forward to trying the place you mentioned soon.

15. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

There is a great Pizza place in Covent Garden called Fire and Stone. Does unusual toppings from around the world. The waitresses are fit too.

You can get a pizza and a beer at lunch for £5. Bargain.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd have to disagree on the great bit. Over-thick, doughy bases, slow, poor service bordering on the unacceptable and the last time I was there (which will probably be the last time I ever go) they managed to drop one of our pizzas on the floor as they tried to put it on the table. Toppings are "interesting" but most combinations don't sound all that appealing. Really nothing special.

17. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Ooh, how could I forget Belgos Belgian restaurant Covent Garden :rolleyes:
    Great steaks, great mussels (according to the missus, I hate the things) and the beer selection is fantastic :cool:

Gauchos, just off Regent St is another great place for a steak

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Both are good (although Belgos used to have a lot of the good beers on tap imported from Belgium instead of only having them in bottles). Both are chains with multiple outlets if these ones are not in convenient locations too.

If you like Belgium beer the Lowlander is also pretty good, although it does get busy and from memory you can't book a table and they won't let you just stand at the bar with a beer...

19. andrewsd macrumors 6502

veggi

wish i could find some veggi burgers at the mcdonalds over here in germany.. maybe i just did not look hard enough..but yes i do know that london has em..

20. Simplesimon101 macrumors regular

i went to the bangalore express near waterloo with my girlfirend recently (http://www.bangaloreexpress.co.uk/) it's pretty good contemporary indian food (a little like an indian wagamamas)but the best bit is you can sit in these little treehouse things and the waiters bring you the food up ladders... that was pretty cool...

21. Queso macrumors G4

Go all veggie. Mildreds on Lexington Street in Soho has a great menu, and if you sit by the window you can celeb-spot Andrew Edmunds across the road :)

22. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

If you're into your sushi Feng Sushi is the best I know.

Decent delivery aswell free to several postcodes!

http://www.fengsushi.co.uk/

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hmm, I'm not that far from Brixton. Might have to give FrancoManca a try myself.

I'll add to the general consensus on both Giraffe and Fire & Stone to be not particularly great.

And I'll throw in Las Iguanas - for a semi-decent chain - on the South Bank and Bodeans BBQ - the Soho branch is still probably the best although again, it's not as good as it was a few years ago. Their Pig Out for a £10 deal is a good one though - full rack of baby back ribs, fries, slaw and a beer.

24. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I kind of know what you mean about the toppings. Some of them are a bit out there. I've also had friends say the place wasn't that great. But as for dropping a pizza on the floor and trying to present it to the table! wow.

It's the kind of place you maybe just go to once or twice. But for £5 for a pizza and a beer it's not bad!