Good protective iPhone 4s case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Totty1987, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm picking up my iphone 4s tomorrow and would like to purchase a decent looking protective case.

Any recommendations?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Oxymoron? Sort of like jumbo shrimp and modern history :)

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Most people looking for protection in a case go for the otterbox case. I'm not a fan of the bulkyness it adds.

6. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

urgh, that otterbox case is hideous :D

is there something that looks more stylish/sophisticated.

Too be honest, I'm unlikely to drop the phone, I just need something like a fabric case that will protect the screen and back from scratches/dents

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thats what I said, than tuesday afternoon my phone literally jumped out my pocket and landed on pavement. Im still trying to figure out how that happened.

Not sure what Im going to do..I love the look of the iP4s naked, but I would date for the replacement I got to get scratched or chipped.

8. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Ifrogz luxe classic black simple not too bulky and great protection. I have been using it since early into my iPhone 4. It works for both 4 and 4S.

9. Hamiltonian macrumors member

Love my SwitchEasy TRIM case, and the price can't be beat for the protection. Best review on iLounge.

10. Los macrumors regular

I got the LifeProof, it's fantastic. I however had some echo issues on mine, and I bought it at Best Buy and made sure that it was the Gen 2 version, but had it. I ended up fixing it on my own after e-mailing their customer support and they never replied back.

I'd recommend it because it's the thinnest protective case out there. I had the Otterbox and it unfortunately felt too bulky and it let a lot of dust get in the case because of my job and it ended up scratching up my old iPhone 4. The LifeProof is dust proof thankfully. :D

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I had the NEW iPhone 4s OtterBox Commuter and ended up returning it along with the new Defender series. The case was nice but the charging port wouldn't stay closed and drove me nuts. My only problem with the new Defender case is that the built in screen protector would move every time I tapped the screen which also drove me nuts.

12. pooryou macrumors 65816

I got the Speck Candyshell with my iPhone 4S and I think it would do an excellent job of protection, and it's pretty nice. I hate how clunky and big it makes the phone though, so I took it off. Might just have to take my chances going naked, it's so much nicer that way.

13. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the case-mate "barely there" case. I'm not a fan of cases but I love this one. My friends have also commented on how nice it is.

14. Manzanas macrumors member

Lifeproof. Phone is sealed. I had no issues with it.

15. liquidlink macrumors member

I also have the Barely There case and I love it. I also just order an Element Case, very cool looking, all metal case, expensive but way cool!!

16. cole01 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend the Otterbox Commuter or Speck Candyshell if you're looking for something thin yet protective. Don't trust anything less than a candyshell since my last iPhone cracked while in an incase slider. I'm currently using my white 4S with a white candyshell and really liking how the smooth plastic feels opposed to a silicone case which is harder to get in and out of the pocket. I attached some pics of my current setup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

thats because where your speakers are, theres a gasket there that keeps water etc out, it will work but it has to be securely in there, if theres a leak and not completely SETTED gaskets around the speakers etc, you will echo. i fixed my own, because i foiund out mine werent set in all way

amazing case, really is.

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I'd say Otterbox.

But I use an incase snap on back. Protects fine for me.

19. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Griffin survivor for super max protection or griffin explorer for max protection

20. Viper3773 macrumors regular

Viper3773

This is what I use, Love it.

21. Kalinka macrumors newbie

LifeProof case is very nice and protects your iPhone from everything, I was looking for shock proof case it does the job. My problem is with the sound both ways, I have to yell to the phone in order to be heard and vice versa
    They should improve that

22. faded.memories macrumors newbie

I ordered a Griffin Survivor and had it waiting before the 4S showed up.

My mom had an Otterbox Defender (I think) sitting around that she wasn't using so that went on my wife's 4S until she finds something she likes better.

I am very happy with the Survivor.

Both have a hard shell on the inside and a soft exterior. The Otterbox exterior is too soft though, it's tacky. Attracts hair and feels sticky.

The (charging) port cover on the Otterbox is flimsy and doesn't pop back into place easily.

All of the covers on the Survivor stay put and go back in nicely.

The Otterbox leaves the rear camera perpetually exposed, but the case around the camera on the Survivor does reflect the flash when used in low lighting. If I REALLY need to use the flash for some pics I take the camera out of the case, but it hasn't happened since my testing phase.

I bought the Survivor before I had the phone because I KNEW I needed a tough case. My last phone was beat up horribly. I drop them all the time. Shortly after getting the phone I ended up dropping the phone 4 feet into dirt at a Corn-maze repeatedly. Dusted it off and went back to whatever I was doing.

Cases like these add bulk, but if you tend to drop your phone, have kids or pets etc they are a good investment. Your decision ultimately should come down to aesthetics and feel, as there are multiple products with adequate protection. Find one you like.

I have a penchant for hot pink, and found the Survivor in HP with the redesigned notch for holding the camera cover out of the way. Score.

[​IMG]