Good Reporting or Dangerous Speculation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

In a CNN report, they speculate how a democrat could become president on Inauguration day if something catastrophic happens at the Inauguration.

Do you consider this good reporting or dangerous speculation ?

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Designating a survivor is nothing new. Reporting about it saying that a democrat could become POTUS is just CNN sharing out their wet dream.

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I agree that it's nothing new but I never before heard a news story on it.

With emotions very high after this election, I don't think it was a good idea for CNN to list who needs to die in order to end up with a democrat as president.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

There is literally going to be an Army there. Almost 8,000 National Guard not to mention DC Police and every alphabet agency in the Federal law enforcement dictionary is going to be there. Short of a nuke going off at the steps, sorry CNN your dream ain't happening.

5. Populism, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Were the tables turned - Hillary won, and Fox News did a piece on who would need to die for a Republican to take over - Democrats/CNN would be convening a war crimes tribunal on the matter.

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

This. The entertainment of watching protesters trying to blockade anything won't likely be seen until afterwards, if they even get to solidify a disruption at all.

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Protesters will be news so the media will specifically be looking for any groups they can find.

8. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Good reporting. I learned something about succession. The first few days before a new cabinet is approved all kinds of weird things can happen. The TV show about some under secretary of previous administration becoming President is actually possible.

The point is, their is a plan in place, and anyone contemplating a disruption to US government will fail as their are legitimate pathways such that. POTUS will always be a moment away from being sworn in and have strike back capability.

All in all a great piece of reporting. Especially liked the part about one undersecretary some years back that for a couple hours had sercret service and a military officer at his side with the nuclear codes and then two hours later couldn't get a cab in New York City.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Infotainment from the master of the craft, CNN.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

They should stick to finding lost commercial airliners and stupid countdown clocks.

However, looking at the Twitter timelines of unhinged celebrities like Joss Whedon and Wil Wheaton, anything is possible.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I consider it bad reporting to increase market share.

Who said partisan views can't be entertaining? :rolleyes:

12. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I can agree it was interesting in parts but why give a specific list of people that have to die in order for the democrats to retain power ?

13. HEK, Jan 19, 2017

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

--- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2017 ---
    These are facts. The whole point of creating this policy was the threat that all leadership is in one place at one time during the swearing in. As the piece stated, during the cold war it was a prudent step since a single first strike could take everyone out at once. You will note the designated successor is removed from the Washington area.

Legitimate succession in the event of such a huge tragedy is important. The whole point of the piece was how conviluted succession could be given a highly unlikely event. It was also stated that this succession would be temporary. The balance of remaining congress would certainly have input as would the american electorate.

This scenario was designed to show a potential enemy that the retaliatory head of the US government could not be taken out. That their would be legitimate and immediate reaction by the presidential successor. Make it a parisan issue if you must.

Consider that if this were truely a partisan issue secretary of state Cary could wait to resign and be the successor wisked away to another city. In this case it is an undersecretary, technically a democratic appointee, but hardly a democratic leader.

14. Plutonius, Jan 19, 2017

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Couldn't happen. The Trump transition team demanded that all staffers be let go before Friday so all the staffers are gone.

15. BoxerGT2.5, Jan 19, 2017

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Could you imagine if a right wing rag ran a story like that when Obama was coming into office? The place would have been shut down, tagged with Swastika's and wooden crosses burned at their front door. But hey, it's the left so it's ok.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Twitter works. I never knew the name of Wesley Crusher until I saw people laughing at his tweets. I still don't know who Joss Whedon is though.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Avengers, Firefly , Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He's a nut job.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Firefly and Buffy were amazing.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

As was Sarah Michelle Gellar.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

yeah. And Michelle Tratchenberger (Dawn)

21. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You seem confused or something, trumps own press secretary just hour ago stated staffers staying on to ease transition and smooth over things.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I volunteer to be the designated survivor. I promise to lead you all with dignity and respect. I only insist that Rosie O and Lena Dunham be exported from the USA permanently before I assume power.

23. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, it was all the envoys and ambassadors that were forced to resign by tomorrow.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2017 ---
    No way. We need political diversity so you will be sharing the bunker with those two :).

24. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Nice of you to correct your post. :)

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I thought DunHAM was already in Canada or did she find out that they actually take immigration seriously?