Good Samaritan stabbed to death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EvilQueen, May 2, 2014.

1. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

First, I want to say that I'm not pro-mugger. I'd hate for someone to get the wrong idea. Okay, that said. This individual did not die protecting the young mother and her toddler from the armed mugger. He died attempting to apprehend the alleged mugger. There is a big difference. Does it make him less of a hero? No. But I felt it needed to be factually correct.

Of course, if he had been packing a large caliber handgun, the situation would have ended differently.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Good Samaritans aren't always smart Samaritans, and if you are unarmed, chasing and engaging knife wielding nuts is a bad idea.

Sure the guy wanted to do the right thing, but California rewards their criminals by disarming its citizens.

Tragic for sure. Hopefully the stabber gets real justice.

4. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally I believe that had he been trained and carrying just about any caliber handgun the outcome would have been different.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are probably right once warning shot from a large enough caliber handgun is often all it takes for the bad guy to rethink it. A .25 just doesn't have that sound.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

The robber was fleeing. In my state, deadly force is not authorized against a fleeing felon, because the threat of imminent harm no longer exists. It's authorized for preventing a felony, and within a domicile, and for self-defense. And non-LEOs aren't authorized to pursue, either.

Your state may differ, but knowing the laws is crucial.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Great, he managed to turn a mugging into a mugging + murder. Great job.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Fleeing suspect, no reason to really go after him.

9. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, let's just make a new rule....if you can run fast enough then any crime you commit is ok.;)

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I would be happy to chase him just enough to get a good description of the guy , if I wanted to be a vigilante I would have joined the cops, has I witnessed that, I would have rendered 1st aid to the victim instead of chasing the moron

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It my state you effect a citizens arrest. He was a fleeing felon. Notice I suggested a warning shot rather than killing him.

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Yes and this story shows why you shouldn't go after them. Your life is more portent than material stuff.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

In at least most states warning shots would be illegal. They're also dangerous to others, and it's unlikely that shooting to prevent someone from fleeing would be deemed legal.

You make a lot of assumptions.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

warning shot would most likely land you in jail here.

hell, even the victims life is more important, why chase a guy when you can help the victim?

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Isn't that wonderful, siding with muggers and murderers. The law is a funny thing. A shot in the air, I can as dangerous, but can't I call it the Joe Biden Defense Act?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the "law" is messed up in many ways.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree completely. Warning shots fired by non-idiots could also be dangerous, no?

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No warning shots. Ever. You're still accountable for where those rounds go.

If you aren't shooting to defend yourself, you shouldn't be shooting at all in that scenario.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What do you mean siding? Biden says a lot of stupid things. Regarding warning shots by idiots or others, many people may misinterpret their own skill. Laws can't assume the person know how to accurately predict where the bullet from that warning shot will end.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Let's derail the topic talking about how to properly and safely fire a warning shot... An idiot got killed because he got involved in a mugging. He should have walked on ignoring the situation. After all, they chose to living California where they aren't allowed to protect themselves.

Let's make sure the killer has a cushy life in prison with cable television

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's easy to buy guns in California.

They may not be the exact type you're interested in, but if you're looking for handguns, rifles or shotguns and can be satisfied with only carrying ten bullets at a time in your magazine, then there are plenty of firearm options in California.

And BTW, violent crime has been on a downward trend in the state for many years. [source]

So I don't think you post is very accurate.

23. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Yes lets make its simple. You cannot safely fire a warning shot.

There you go, now back on topic.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Since you've now thrown this completely off the rails, I'll add this. I admire your skill of including multiple talking points, all off-topic while complaining about a thread being derailed.