Good Samaritan targeted, beaten after helping lost toddler

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 28, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/good-sama...t-toddler-082805037--abc-news-topstories.html
    father is in the wrong here, yeah I get you thought he was taking the kid YOU let out of your sight, but not to regret it AFTER finding out he was looking for the family? wrong, dude is lucky the guy did not press charges.

2. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

People like that are the reason that barely anyone helps anyone anymore

3. BeeGood, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Unreal. That kid's family is absolute, knuckledragging trash. No regrets and no apology.

They ought to be grateful that the guy isn't pressing charges, but they're probably too dumb to realize they should be grateful.

4. Herdfan macrumors 6502

He is lucky that it wasn't me or he would have gotten his ass kicked.

5. jkcerda, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Guy is lucky charges were not pressed, hell guy is lucky CPS did not get involved since he lost the kid in the first place.

6. Zenithal, Jun 28, 2017

Zenithal Suspended

Doesn't your wife hit you with her sandals?

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah, but I am wearing the gimp suit by then........................:p

8. Zenithal Suspended

It could be worse. Your mother in law could be living with you guys.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ha, she's not bad, she is an AMAZING cook and minds her business , if I had the room I would not mind it at all :eek:

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2 yo shouldn't be unsupervised, should be charging the parents with neglect.

12. thekev, Jun 28, 2017

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The idiot parents are lucky. I'm not so sure about the kid.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Wow. I suppose it's understandable for a parent to become overly protective of their child, especially in a time of extreme stress (losing the child). The fact the family did not appologize (rather doubled down on criticisms) is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as publically smearing the guy who found their child (and perhaps protected him from actually being abducted).

I might forgive the father for beating the crap out of me. But smearing my name is not something I would tolerate.

The world is an interesting place these days.

14. Zenithal Suspended

Ever since the kids began walking we don't let them out of our site. Even if it's inside the house. Big house, lots of hiding places.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Dude should have knocked the dad in the mouth a few times after the cops showed up and told him that no he doesn't regret it either as you don't let your kids our of your site like that. People like this dad shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

16. VulchR, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Given that I currently reside in Scotland, I've been in situations in which I have encountered drunk people who were dangerously intoxicated (falling over and hurting themselves, in danger of hypothermia, or outright passed out) on the street. It's rare but it happens (I live in a University town). Like most people I worry about the reaction of the person I am trying to help or how it might might be perceived by others. Thus, I always call the police first and describe to them the situation as I approach the person. Anybody picking up a stray kid should immediately call the police to them what's going on, just to set the record straight. Still, you'd think the family would apologise to the Samaritan publicly if they misunderstood his intentions.

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

used to be that you didn't have to do that. It was easy enough to just help the child find their parents. Now, they beat and call you a molester for just glancing that direction. Humanity sucks.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

True, but not of everybody thankfully. :)

19. weckart macrumors 68040

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

The bolded part above just makes me sad. I'm not saying you're wrong, but the idea that we have to engage law enforcement while we assist another human being just makes me feel like we are all socially broken.

It's like we're all better off if we mind our own business. If we could measure aggregate isolation, I'm certain we would be the most isolated people in human history.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's number 285 of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. Yarp, I'm a nerd.:p

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

What about those that helped the social media smear of the good Samaritan?

23. VulchR, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In my experience it takes a few seconds, they usually just note the call in their logs, and if they're concerned they stay on the phone while the person is approached. I have to say that I have offered help three times to drunken people in my town over the last year, and it always turned out OK (at least in the short term).

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

I spend a lot of time at kids' play-places. It doesn't shock me at all any more how little attention some people pay to their kids. At least weekly I have to stop a small toddler from climbing a play structure designed for much bigger kids while the parents are either staring at their phones, or talking about BS with other parents.