good set of 2.1 speakers for a person on a budget?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gregjp48, Jul 22, 2007.

1. gregjp48 macrumors regular

I am in the market for a good set of 2.1 speakers.
    by no means am I an audiophile, but I encode my music at high (usually vbr) bitrates. I like good sound quality, and it is a huge priority, much moreso than looks. Of course I wouldn't mind a gorgeous set of speakers, but sound quality is of the most importance.

Any Recommendations? I'd be willing to spend a good 100-150 bucks, or 200 if I have to. Nothing too outrageous, since I still have to buy a macbook to replace my beloved ibook G4.

I saw a lot of the posters on this forum either have Logitech X-230s, soundsticks, or JBL Creature IIs. Will any of these provide the sound quality I desire?

Thanks a bunch.

2. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

The Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks II are about $130 and sound amazing, especially for their small size. I haven't heard the Logitech speakers, but the Soundsticks definitely blow the JBL Creatures away in terms of sound quality.

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

JBL and harmon kardon are the same company although the JBL are aimed at a lower price point.

Personally I have a set of acoustic solution aego m's which I think are a fantastic set of speakers.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Debate Over.

I am the biggest advocate of the Logitech FX6021's never heard a person complaining, love my pair (both) they fit in your price range on Amazon and they will definitely blow away the other two

5. ghettochild macrumors regular

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Best 2.1 Speakers. You can get them for like 110 at amazon too...

7. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

8. gregjp48 thread starter macrumors regular

i'll defenitely take a long look at the logitechs, and i'll take a look at the lansings as well.

So the soundsticks are definitely better than the creatures?

so like logitech>soundstick>creature?

Thanks.

edit: saw the klipschs on headfi. I'll ad those to the queue as well.

9. gregjp48 thread starter macrumors regular

okay well i've been reading reviews on cnet etc by users and generally have been finding that the logitech z-2300s have more quantity than quality in the bass and that it is boomy. The altec lansings and the soundsticks get better reviews and are acclaimed as clear, with tight bass, and true to the music, which is more of what I'm looking for. I like good midrange, which the logitechs seem to be lacking in. I would rather a warm sound wiht the ability to discern the different sounds. Again, not crazy audiophilic discerning, but I like to be able to hear the separate instruments etc.

the lansings are slightly pricey for my budget, so I think I'll be going for the soundsticks.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

agreed :)

11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I love my creature IIs, they get pretty good sound, and great bass for their size, plus they will only set you back about $60 plus shipping on newegg.com

12. LeviG macrumors 65816

Seriously then you should be considering the aego m's I suggested then (although I'm not sure how much they cost in the US but they're only £80-90 in the UK)

linky to a nice little bit about them and an unbiased review - linky

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Before you buy, if you have an apple store near by - you should go in, they will most likely have both on display, and you can get to hear side-by-side comparison. Don't get me wrong, both are great speakers, i have my iPod hooked up to HK's now, but i would just go to the store.

14. gregjp48 thread starter macrumors regular

the problem with the apple store is it's always very loud in there, and hard to hear very much from the speakers, and people don't get too happy if you turn it up too loud (I played some music on one of the imacs once by accident, turned up all the way with soundsticks attached, almost jumped to the ceiling). it's also hard to judge how loud the speakers will be in your own home, and it's hard to get a side by side comparison.

15. gregjp48 thread starter macrumors regular

it costs $200 around here. I'll look in to it but that is pushing my budget slightly. It's like the d-jays I bought from sweeden; it's a gamble. There's no way to listen to them because they aren't popular locally. I'd have to read a lot of good reviews before I took that sort of plunge, but I will definitely look into it.

16. LeviG macrumors 65816

uk forum/store - overclockers.co.uk have mini reviews with the product and also theres a lot of recommendations in the forum (usually in the general/audio sections)

$200 does seem a bit pricy considering its usually £1 to $1 on most things these days even though theres a 2 to 1 exchange rate.

17. remmy macrumors 6502a

maybe have a look on ebay, seen old creative cambridge soundworks on ebay very cheap. Got some myself (not from ebay, had them along time) Sound is not the greatest does require a bit of tweaking, or maybe i should upgrade...

18. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

I'm glad the quote is wrong! Otherwise a would never be able to afford a mac!

19. Goldcard macrumors regular

Yea, I had a set of these. Very nice.

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Ding! You nailed it. That's why I got the FX6021's and not the Z-2300's. Very clear sound.

Don't even bother with the JBL Creatures unless you can't afford anything else. Some of the worst speakers I've heard. YMMV, naturally, but yeah.

21. LeviG macrumors 65816

read the whole sentance it makes sense :p

22. gregjp48 thread starter macrumors regular

Should I stay with PC would i be better off connecting my laptop/ipod (via wire or by airport express) to a bookshelf stereo system with an amp and speakers and whatnot like this jvc model here?
    I actually own a pair of cambridge soundworks SBS52s. Are these good quality? Should I just keep these and get a good subwoofer to go with them? Is that possible?

Thanks

23. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...

Airport - No...it takes a delay
    Boombox - Computer Speakers provide a shockingly amazing quality
    If you own cambrige speakers though, they are going to be better thats going to require an amp, and it seems like a sub:
    it would be more complicated
    it would require more wires
    it could cost more
    it could sound better
    it might make you happier

24. showtime macrumors 6502

How do these and the logitech x-540s compare? Which are better?

25. gregjp48 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll just stick with the PC speakers.

It's between the soundsticks and the altec lansings now