Good set of speakers for £100-110 max

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamNeeds, Mar 11, 2009.

1. SamNeeds macrumors regular

I'm currently looking at getting the M-Audio AV40's to hook up to my iMac and MBP when it's on the desk (Only connect to one at a time, not both...)

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to perfect audio, so having read a few reviews on these I've heard that the sound quality is spot on - which is exactly what I want.

Any views on these or recommedations for others?

2. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

3. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Buy some second hand, it's the only way to ensure some wickedly nice speakers for your money...that's what I'd do for sure..check places like cashconverters etc etc etc online

4. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd prefer new.

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

hmm, 'new' over better sound?, is aesthetics more important than function?

6. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

No, not at all. Quality may be affected due to usage, that's why I prefer new.

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

ah each to their own an all ....I'd prefer the hunt for a decent set at half(or less) than retail price

good luck

8. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Funnily enough, I already use T-40's. For me though, they just don't have the range that I'd like when watching films. Music is okay, not superb though.

9. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

Are you looking for 5.1 system? Do you want to set up a mini home theater for your computers? If you want 5.1 the Logitech z-5500 is pretty good for movies. M-audio has some really good speakers, too. I have always liked Altec Lansing speakers but you might find them crappy if you are an audiophile. I know Bose has a bad reputation depending on who you talk to but their companion series is good for a small computer/theater system for someone who wants good speakers for music and movies without sacrificing space and a ton of wires. Good luck with your decision.

10. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Just out of curiosity, how do you plug in these kind of set ups. Looking at the back of my iMac, I dont have the same 3 coloured plugs for the 5.1 that I had on my PC sound card.

Sorry to sound stupid but I have a Mac arriving this week and thought I was going to have to get rid of my Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 Set up. ?

11. paulg1979 macrumors member

Are you playing MP3's and AAC's as they sound okay but Aiff files sound well impressive IMO.

I'm not a bass fan as it tends to ruin music. I just like stereo as it should be but totally understand them not being good enough for movies

12. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

13. paulg1979 macrumors member

Importing tunes as AIFF files (1411kbp) makes a huge difference. You'll be amazed of the difference. Its an exact copy of the CD so no compression at all. Try a CD ripped to AIFF and listen to the difference.

14. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

I'm keeping the quality at 256kbps so that I can fit more songs onto my iPod.

15. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

The Harman/Kardon Soundsticks II are amazing and go for about $100

Ams.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The M-Audio's are probably your best, but if you could find a pair of Swan M10s, I'd splurge.

17. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I have the M-Audio Studiophile AV40s, and they really do sound as good as promised. :D

18. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, cheers guys.

I had a look on Google for anyone that sold the M10's, no one! Mind you, that was only a 5 min look.

Thanks for your view Galley.

19. dhc macrumors regular

I've have the Soundsticks (1st Gen - USB connection) for about 5 or 6 years now, and they sound lovely. Warm and open and nowhere near as compressed as, say, the JBL Creatures. However, due to an unexpected incident with the dog and the left speaker, I'm now in the market for some new ones..:eek:

I'm thinking Studiophile AV40s or 30s (desk space is limited), and I've yet to see a bad review..

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Perfect audio and £100 speaks don't fit in the same sentence. Them are just the facts.

I recommend you get yourself a good amp, pipe all your music in Apple Lossless to an Airport Express with iTunes, and get yourself a pair of B&W 685s with a subwoofer.

That's about the lowest point of entry I know of for someone who really cares about sound as you say you do. Anything at £100 might not sound harsh if you choose well, and will be very pleasant to listen to, but it won't even be on the scale of the 'perfect sound' for which you describe yourself as a 'stickler'.

If your view of your audio standards is remotely true, you'll be quite underwhelmed by the speakers that you are looking at.

21. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect audio in my ears that is. I'm not looking for reference quality! Sorry, didn't mean for 'perfect' to be taken so literally!!

22. stujmac26 macrumors regular

23. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

What are the key differences between the T-40 and T-40 Series II?