Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lxndr

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
I assume you're asking about desk top computer speakers. I've found Altec-Lansing to be quite good for the price. Other good brands are JBL and Sharp.

I would check out electronic music stores, you know where they sell DJ and sound studio equipment. You'll find some small, great sounding speakers for not too much money. Lower price brands include M-Audio and Edirol. Hope that helps.

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2006
I assume you're asking about desk top computer speakers. I've found Altec-Lansing to be quite good for the price. Other good brands are JBL and Sharp.

I would check out electronic music stores, you know where they sell DJ and sound studio equipment. You'll find some small, great sounding speakers for not too much money. Lower price brands include M-Audio and Edirol. Hope that helps.
Um you are recommending the WORST speakers.

Look at logitech,Klipsch, and swan.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Um you are recommending the WORST speakers.

Are you kidding me? I've never used speakers better than the Altec Lansing FX6021's for the price. Sure those may be out of the OPs price range, but AL doesn't make bad speakers. Although I'm not too crazy about Sharp.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Are you kidding me? I've never used speakers better than the Altec Lansing FX6021's for the price. Sure those may be out of the OPs price range, but AL doesn't make bad speakers. Although I'm not too crazy about Sharp.

Another vote for the FX6021s

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2006
By Other Sound Equipment... Any constructive recommendations?

Well it all depends on what you are looking for from your sound equipment.

And any one who says JBL creatures sound good doesn't know a thing about audio. And as for the Altecs they sound murky and have the stage and presence of my arse.

So if you answer my questions about what you need I would be more than happy to make recommendations.

I am going to go ahead and list some good speakers for your 150$ budget.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Logitech Z-2300
Creative L-3800
Swan M200
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0
Creative T-20 2.0
Harmon Kardon SoundSticks II

I hope these help you out some.

lxndr

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
Didn't expect to be dealing with such a snooty crowd. What do you want for a hundred bucks? I use Adam Artists series. Do you want me to send my forum friend out to buy $2000 speakers when he/she's asking for something in the $100-$150 price range?

illweather

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
Wow, I'm surprised at the crap quality you people are recomending. I'd say ignore everyone above (including the ones that think they know what they're talking about, bunch of junk, though the Swan M200's might be okay...). check out this site http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/94/148/ Anything there within your range will be fine. If you want a lot of bass and some sorta "cool looking" setup that includes a sub, then go with one of the crap ideas others recomended. For a small setup, studio monitors are your best bet for clean balanced sound.

Sorry to come across as arrogant, I just love music, and hate to see people ripped off when it comes to purchasing any kinda of setup. I've been DJing for years, and know quite a bit about recording and music production (not to mention home stereo), and even good computer speakers are almost always terrible. Try the monitors, or better yet, invest in a simple stereo amp, and some bookshelf speakers (but in your case that's a whole different topic, I would assume). But if you wanna go that route, let me know.

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
I was going to say get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's they are only like 6 years old and they go for about $152. These speakers have won awards.

Thing is you need a HT receiver.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Check out the Bose Companion series. They're absolutely incredible. Don't link what you know about their home-theater stuff to this. The Companion series is true quality.

Studio monitors are a good choice, too. I also own KRK ST-6's. They require a seperate amp, but any old home-theater amp will be fine. They can be had for roughly $100 a pop, used to be $200 a pop, but are now discontinued I believe, but are still able to be bought.

Peace

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2006
Wow, I'm surprised at the crap quality you people are recomending. I'd say ignore everyone above (including the ones that think they know what they're talking about, bunch of junk, though the Swan M200's might be okay...). check out this site http://www.turntablelab.com/production_tools/94/148/ Anything there within your range will be fine. If you want a lot of bass and some sorta "cool looking" setup that includes a sub, then go with one of the crap ideas others recomended. For a small setup, studio monitors are your best bet for clean balanced sound.

Sorry to come across as arrogant, I just love music, and hate to see people ripped off when it comes to purchasing any kinda of setup. I've been DJing for years, and know quite a bit about recording and music production (not to mention home stereo), and even good computer speakers are almost always terrible. Try the monitors, or better yet, invest in a simple stereo amp, and some bookshelf speakers (but in your case that's a whole different topic, I would assume). But if you wanna go that route, let me know.
He asked for computer speakers, thats what I gave him.
Sure I love my 800D's but is that in his price range?
Get off your high horse!

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I own the Logitech Z4-i and they're great for my needs. No idea if some of the super experts here will approve of my "cheap" speakers (u know who i mean) but I think they're great in sound and have great looks (the same white polished surface) like my Macbook.

byakuya

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Sound is objective. The best speakers going for $150 are the ones YOU think sound best and cost under $150 :p

Seriously, get down a to a pro audio store, or even an Apple store (when it's quiet) and have a play. You may up buying the biggest pieces of crap in the world but if they sound the best to you then job done! :)

illweather

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
He asked for computer speakers, thats what I gave him.
Sure I love my 800D's but is that in his price range?
Get off your high horse!

Very defensive aren't we?...
He asked for speakers, to use with his computer. What are you, an idiot? :rolleyes:

Just giving him some options that sound good (IMO), opposed to the junk computer speakers you suggested. Obviously 800Ds are not in his price range, I have no idea what they have to do with anything.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006

Look we all know you like a good sound, (as do I), but that doesn't mean you should be telling the OP to buy the best sound gear possible.

Don't forget, this is for use with a computer, where almost everything is either gonna be compressed music from iTunes or music from some other source like MySpace. Choosing something too revealing will just make things unbearable to listen to. Stay away from studio monitors unless you really want to hear every flaw in every sound you hear. The same goes for a lot of hifi.

Your best bet is the Bose companions. They are NOT hifi, and certainly do NOT sound good when compared to a decent sound system. However, they are very suitable when used with a computer, as they tend to mask a lot of detail, making them comfortable to listen to over long periods.

As far as voicing goes, they are pretty acceptable. The companion 2s can sound a little closed in in the mid frequencies, but the 3s and 5s are very nice and 'open', while not sounding too detailed and unforgiving.

Hope this helps, it's impossible to describe without a little audio-jargon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.