Good time to get an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattbaar26, Oct 1, 2013.

1. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'm looking at switching from an s4 to an iPhone and was wondering if now is a good time to buy an iPhone 5 or if I should wait. I can get a 16 GB brand new for $300 or a 2 month old 64 GB for $375, they are both on sprint network which is why they are cheaper. Should I jump on one of these now or do prices usually go down? I was thinking they would maybe go back up near christmas but am looking for your advice.

I do not need to make the switch now either, I'm doing a semester abroad now and wouldn't be able to use the iPhone until almost December anyways so if prices are going to drop, I would want to wait.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Anytime is a good time to switch from Android to iOS :D

I wouldn't expect Apple prices to drop though. They aren't like normal race to the bottom companies.

3. Altis macrumors 68020

The 5 is a good buy. Wish I could grab one for $375 64 GB in Canada... why are our prices so inflated! :confused:

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm a Sprint customer so just a caution. If your area has not been upgraded by Sprint yet under Network Vision (upgrades of the 3G network to LTE) then you wil in all likelihood suffer greatly on 3G. Sprint is working to expand LTE nationwide, but it's not there yet and a lot of places are either just starting or going through growing pains.

So, if you are expecting to pick up an iPhone and get LTE but your area does not have it yet you're in for a shock.

Next, if you have any ideas of unlocking your iPhone for domestic use, think again. Sprint will only unlock for international use and there is NOTHING you can do that will get the phone unlocked.

All of that said, if you are an existing Sprint user you probably already know this and if your area already has Sprint LTE then you should find the experience pleasant.

As to the iPhone, I always suggest more is better. Even if you never need it, always having more is better than not having enough. And if you get Applecare+ (you can get it from Apple even if Sprint does not offer it to you) then your phone will be covered for two years and the age of the phone won't matter.

Sprint also has TEP which is different than Applecare+. It's insurance and works like Applecare+ but you have deductibles for accidental damage and after the first year for warranty coverage. But TEP covers theft and AC+ doesn't.

5. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know Sprint sucks with service but in my area it isn't too bad and I'm on a business plan so if I switched out of it, I would be paying a ton more

6. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

Now. Just got a mint condition iP5 on eBay for a great price. I'll pick up a used 5s in a year to 18 months. I only buy after market so I stay off contract but still get a great phone.

7. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the 16 gb, I think the iPhone is too small for movies and I use google play all access for music and don't need all my music on my phone anyways, plus the 16 is brand new.

8. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Do it! I got one last year when they came out and I think they're a great value, and my sister just picked one up to use on T-Mobile for $375, the price is definitely right for these!!