Good Time To Make The "Switch"?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by tenshu2k, Oct 13, 2002.

  1. tenshu2k macrumors member

    Oct 13, 2002
    I've been looking to switch for quite some time, and I am wondering if I should just wait until the next macworld or is now a good time to buy? I was looking at the Powermac G4 dual 867 with a 17" Studio LCD.. but if there are new lcds on the way and possibly new powermacs, should I just wait till then to buy? Im looking to spend around $2k for the whole package, so getting the fastest thing available isnt really a necessity for me.. but if prices are going to drop considerably im willing to wait.
    So what should i do? Thanks.
  2. arn macrumors god


    Staff Member

    Apr 9, 2001
    Re: Good Time To Make The "Switch"?

    There are signficant rebates currently available for the PowerMac/LCD combo... so I don't think you will go too far wrong.

    As for the PowerMacs - they just got updated... so now is a good time to buy.

  3. cubist macrumors 68020

    Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    The dual 867 is a pretty good deal.

    The price/performance is among the best for the Mac. Look at the other forums around here; you'll notice that the rumored IBM 64-bit chips are not coming until late 2003. The dual 1G and 1.25G are faster but the price/performance is not as good.

    You might consider a used machine. If you do, stick to a G4 chip; it looks like the G3's may all be discontinued in the next few months, which will make their value drop.

    You've already spotted the need to go to an LCD, that's good. CRTs are going to be boat anchors very soon. (You could stretch your budget by using a used CRT monitor with your dual 867 for a while, of course. But there is a discount on the monitor in effect. Can you get the double RAM deal too?)

    You might consider the iMac; personally, I've always liked a separate monitor for a desktop machine.

    Read lots of forums around here. The MacRumors crowd is generally a pretty sharp bunch of people. Wait for some more comments here.
  4. beez7777 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 5, 2002
    Notre Dame
    now is a great time. I bought my iMac the day before the jaguar release. After 7 or so months of waiting and debating which machine i should get (used cube, low end powermac, or iMac), i took some great advice from someone here at macrumors, who said "buy now and dont look back." i bought my 17" iMac, and i dont regret a thing. i love my computer and im happy i bought it when i did. so my advice to you is buy now, especially since theres a nice rebate goin on, and you wont regret a thing. the longer you wait, it'll only be "another few more months" till an upgrade", and before you know it a year will pass and you wont have anything. go for it. :)
  5. SilvorX macrumors 68000


    May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    im buying a powermac in about a month (or so) and b4 dec 31 would be the best time (but then again HOPEFULLY apple doesnt bring out any "better" powermacs/cheaper powermacs within the next half year or else lol) cuz of the double your ram promo and the free indesign promo, im going to try ordering the mac via if they have any nice promos going on in their catalog
  6. teabgs macrumors 68030


    Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    Dude, talk to Backtothemac. He can most likely get you a better deal then macwarehouse.

    I and a few friends have ordered computers from him for cheaper then anywhere else...

    and tenshu2k, if you wanna buy now. Do it.

    The timing has never been better. The longer you wait, the more you'll want it, and the more you'll want to wait for the newer and better system. I had decided to buy with the "next" as in the latest revision of the PowerMacs. Placed my order with B2TM the day after they were announced...had to wait almost 50 days since I got the 1.25.....but its worth it.

    The point is. Decide basically want you want before hand. Then decide when you'll buy. ONce you've made up your mind, just do it and be happy. Eventually something will happen to make it cheaper, or faster, or whatever, but thats how it goes with computers.

    Personally, I don't expect new PowerMacs till after MWSF earliest. I think the end of Feb 03 will be the next PowerMac revision (and the last one for Motorola).

    If you're getting a tower, get it now. Its a lovely machine, I promise ;)
  7. void macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2002
    Not here
    Yeah i've heard nothing but great feed back on the new dp towers.
    P.S. 100th Post!!!
  8. tibookowner macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2002
    My latest mac purchase...

    I want to brag... throughout my life I"ve done two things RIGHT... the first was my wife and the second was my Powerbook, a "Wallstreeet" to refer to it by it's model name and the second was my wife. Now, I have a new TI book!!!!!!! Sorry, the "aura" hasn't worn off...:)
  9. tibookowner macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2002
    Switchers... TAKE nOTE...

    When I was considering making my first laptop purchase... it was like 'Tess Bethune' of Apple Switchers marketing campaign where shee said "I like good looking things" Ultimately, I liked my g3 SO MUCH I got a new G4...
  10. benixau macrumors 65816


    Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    buy buy buy, dagnabbit

    Look, if apple kept its hardware any more static so that people wouldnt get pissed, how far behind do you think we would be???

    IMO it wouyld be a lot better not to imagine that. BTW if you do get the great value 867 here is 3 things you should do

    up the combo to superdrive
    up the 60GB to 80GB (dirt cheap about $60)
    overclock it to a 167mhz. The chip suffers no probs and since it can be done with software, you just zap your pram if **** happens and well, noone knows (except you, but its a prob if you dont)

  11. Draft macrumors 6502

    Jun 18, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Re: buy buy buy, dagnabbit

    The Superdrive has to be the greatest part of my quicksilver. One bad thing might be that it isn't as fast as the combo drive. If you don't want to burn DVDs, just get the combo drive.

    Also, don't upgrade your hard drive through a build to order machine. If you need more then 60GB then buy a second drive online. 60GB runs about $100. You'll like the fact that you have a second hard drive rather then partitioning an 80GB hard drive. This alone makes it worth the extra 40 bucks. Plus you'll have an extra 40 gigs to play with.

    I never looked back either, after I purchased my quicksilver. I upgraded from a beige G3 tower. Best investment ever.


Share This Page