Good to sell new iPhone 4s in China?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fatlardo, Jan 15, 2012.

1. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Given the issue that no iPhone 4s was available at the new apple store in china, is it a good idea to bring a few to sell in china? I will be going on a vacation trip there. Lmk what u guys think?

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. fatlardo thread starter macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Sorry, what do u mean?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Depends on your definition of good. Profitable? Likely. Safe? I don't know. How do you intend to sell them? Legal? Not sure on that either. Not sure how strict customs laws and such are. Generally speaking you aren;t supposed to be able to walk into a country with imports and sell them without paying some form of tax on the sale.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

not worth the risk ... scalping iPhones in China sounds like a recipe for disaster

6. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

You could maybe bring one or two and maybe get away with saying they are for family but I wouldn't risk it.

Not worth the risk at all.

7. cynics macrumors G3

You can buy the 4s online, at china Unicom and other authorized resellers according to apple. Just not at the apple store.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just don't get caught. I would not want to go to jail in China...

9. shadowjeff macrumors regular

You should have done it before the iPhone 4s is released in China or even when the iPhone 4s just launched in north america (presumably you're here). The prices were mad high and for sure you would get a huge profit. When it was launched here in canada, you could see there is a huge bunch of chinese lining up at the apple store everyday. This was because they were buying iPhones to sell them in china.

The only problem is just shipping and looking for a middleman to sell it for you.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

11. lilkangster macrumors member

Depends on where you are going in to china from. There is a higher risk when you enter China from hong kong to Shenzhen than if you are entering from Beijing. Customs is much more lax at Beijing airport, but yea if worse comes to worse and you get caught all you have to do is pay the customs tax and you are fine. Brought 3 iphone 4s over a month ago for personal use and have had no problems. You can probably make about $200 profit per iphone if you decide to sell it in China, but yea it all depends on if you think its worth the risk. All I can say is I exit and enter China about 10 times a year and not once have I been checked at customs (both beijing [3x a year] and shenzhen [about once every 2 months]).

12. fatlardo thread starter macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Did you put it in the carry on or they big bag you check in? I'm not bringing a lot maybe just about 2-3 just so I can have some extra spending money. I'm going directly to Guangzhou. What bout Guangzhou, how are they there if you know? Guangzhou is an 1 1/2 hour from Macou and Hong Kong which where is most people can get the iphone from right?

13. lilkangster macrumors member

If you are going to Guangzhou and transferring from Hong Kong then chances are you will be fine. Customs is only strict at shenzhen luohu port where people are entering the country on foot. If you are bringing more than 2 I would suggest you separate the iphones maybe one in your carry on and 2 in your checkin. One thing about the checkin luggage I would watch out for is that some airlines in china now do not allow li-ion batteries and devices with those batteries to be stored in the checkin. So yea might want to look up your connecting flight and see which airline you are flying. Also depending on how much luggage you have the chances of getting checked differs. So if you have like 2 gigantic luggages with you then its more likely customs will check you. Chances are you will be fine and there is no need to worry. Just make sure you bring the receipts for the iphones with you though. Then even if you do get caught you just pay the relevant tax based on those receipts and you might still make a profit even after tax if you sell them in China. Make sure you have the receipts though, cause if you don't then the value of the item is pretty much however much the customs official deem it to be. So if customs official say the phone cost $1000 then you pretty much have to pay import tax for a $1000 dollar item.