Good we have to wait - wait for a new, working keyboard. No new macs at WWDC 2018

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KensaiMage, Jun 4, 2018.

1. KensaiMage macrumors regular

KensaiMage

2. icymountain macrumors 6502

That an update with nothing else than a better working keyboard would have been better than nothing.

Also, that, after the news of the purchase of github by Microsoft, and this keynote, it is not hard to imagine a better day.

3. Appleaker macrumors 68020

It was to be expected, the 2018 models were rumored to be delayed until Fall. People got too carried away, assuming it would be announced at WWDC. They are significant updates so there will be a separate Mac event later in the year.
    Apple could have released the 12" MacBook at this event and adjusted the lineup pricing but it looks like that will have to wait for the other Mac updates. Since it will be using the new mechanism as well, it makes sense that it will be released alongside the Pros.

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

The new software features were cool and all but no new hardware was very disappointing.

5. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

6. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Sweet. So we did get new "hardware" after all. /s

7. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

Sigh... Pro users get tricked again and again.

8. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

Pangalactic

Apple is clearly not a pro company anymore. MBPs are middle of the line consumer laptops with huge inconveniences for the pros (no SD/no type A ports/no esc key/crappy battery life/low power). Imac "Pro" - just look at Linus and Snazzy's videos where Apple can't fix an Imac Pro cause no one knows how to do this.

And Mac Pro? Yeah...

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

...but I thought the pros love Animojis /s

10. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Marketing wise it looks fantastic, they wait another year and then say the machines are 80% faster than the last..... what they don’t say is they missed a year when everyone else was throwing quad cores in to 13” laptops.

I can’t think of a worse power to cost ratio than there has been in the last 20 years for all MacBook models. Even when the Air came out it was underpowered and expensive but was a completely new form factor.

11. samuels1 Suspended

Ives and Apple are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They absolutely must redesign the mb and /p, probably from the ground up so that it actually works and provides the features that users of a modern computer expect, yet Ives is absolutely addicted to thinness and lightness.

Ives is like a crack addict who knows he needs to get into rehab asap but still enjoys wallowing in the gutter like a pig.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It was a software conference I expected no hardware announcements that's what I think. I also think that all the MBP's will be updated in the next month or two with the latest silicon.

13. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Whe be a "Pro" company when the money is with the consumers? They may have made their name with "Pro" products (or more likely, the iPod imo :)), but it would be silly for them to end up prioritising that for sentimental reasons, rather than go after the money.

14. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

As I stated elsewhere, Apple did announce new hardware--just tacitly and implicitly.

First, there was a deafening silence concerning the TouchBar on the Mac. The year Apple introduced the TB, it was supposedly the best innovation since sliced cheese. Last year, the TB was mentioned, but almost in passing. This year, no mention at all. As far as I can tell, this is a dead technology that will be relegated into obscurity with the next redesign.

The biggest news of the day to me was implied when Craig stated that Apple is porting iOS apps over to macOS in Mojave and--this is crucial--he stated that this was part of a multi-phase, "multi-year project."

Craig spoke the truth when he said Apple has no intention of conflating iOS and macOS, because they do use different UIs. However, Apple is beginning to unify the underlying APIs and consequently I have no doubt that Apple will also unify the underlying hardware (i.e. ARM).

Anyone who is paying attention should have no doubts that Apple is transitioning to ARM. My debate is now what to do when I need a new laptop in the next year. Buy a Mac knowing x86-64 will soon become obsolete or go back to Windows?

Any Mac purchased over the next couple of years will have a much shorter service life than previous generations, much like the last PPC Macs, because once Apple transitions to ARM there will be little if any software support for x86 hardware.

Edit: PS--I do believe that any hardware release Apple may have hoped to release at WWDC was delayed indefinitely because Apple realizes that they must redesign the keyboard and consequently the entire MB/MBP enclosure. I don't expect to see any hardware updates until the keyboard has been redesigned yet again.

At this point, I would rather Apple just pay Lenovo for the rights to use their keyboard technology. Lenovo's keyboard just works, even in their X1 Carbon ultrabook.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, I think this is apple's move to transition away from Intel, though we still see intel machines even if (when?) apple rolls out ARM based macs.

For me, I'm looking to buy a machine this year to replace the 2012 rMBP. I'm all but ready to leave the MBP platform behind. Partially due to cost, but now due to quality. I think Apple's obsession with thinness brought this on. I'm not sure I want to wait any longer.

Yeah, that's my though, not only the bad press, but now the multiple class action suits - I think we're up to three class action suits now.

16. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

It’s a software event. If you’re not a developer, why do you even watch a developer event?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because Apple has used that event to roll out new hardware in the past, so its not out of the question to hope for new hardware announced during the keynote.

18. Spytap macrumors regular

I don't think this is necessarily true. I think that Pro/Desktop machines will likely stay Intel, and Consumer/portable machines will go ARM. But there's nothing on ARM that competes with mid to higher tier Intel or AMD. But I can see a split between lines and dual CPU support built into the OS.

19. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Amen on the Lenovo! Thinkpad keyboards have NO comparison in the business. August 2016 I was in the market for a laptop. My 2011 MBA was too old as a main machine. I’m an author and usually won’t keep a laptop past the warranty period. Can’t afford downtime. Price wasn’t a factor.

Apple had NOTHINg for me. Forget innovation, some of the hybrids and 2 in 1s are gimmicky but a Keyboard is a basic non negotiable feature! Couldn’t stand the mb or the mbp. They were horrible. Even the MBA seemed more stiff than mine and anyway, I’m not paying for a screen tech that’s ancient.

Ended up going with a thinkpad yoga 260 with ZERO regrets. The KB is like typing on clouds. Everything else including the flippy stuff is bonus. (Tablet mode I’ve used Maybe twice but I do like the tent and presentation mode for movies)

Windows 10 isn’t bad. Bit of a learning curve but it’s stable. Frankly, I live in office, mail, edge, calendar and excel. Don’t really care anymore about the underlying OS. It’s invosible just stay out of my way.

An MBP or MB with a thinkpad Keyboard will bring me right back!

20. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

We shall see. It is Apple's move now, but I lived through the last transition and this seems to be Apple's trajectory. While I hope you are right, Apple's history does not support your theory of maintaining two separate code bases for the same compute platform.

21. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Yea, they like the one with a hand and one finger sticking up....

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

23. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I just bought a Razer Blade Stealth. Like the computer a lot, but I found I will need to buy some sort of PDF software to merge PDF files, and movie software just to trim clips. There is no comparable PDF software. Cant understand why Windows doesn't handle PDF's better. Both I can do on my MacBook Air right out of the box with Preview and Quicktime. Too bad really. The Razer Blade is a great computer.

24. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Oh totally agree. Outside of the apps I mentioned windows doesn’t give you much. My main desktop will always be an Apple doe the reasons you mentioned. As a writing , emailing, browsing , research laptop with mild photo edits etc the thinkpad is perfect.

All the things you pointed out id usually be doing at the home office not on my laptop. Thinking of going iPad only for my next mobile setup. Let’s see what the new IPP brings.

I don’t see myself ever buying another apple clamshell laptop again. Unless it’s sonethjng radical like an ARM MB with a detachable screen.

25. Joined:
    Oct 24, 2016
    I’m sorry, but I’m not waiting the entire summer to get a new computer, that’s just unrealistic.