Goodbye AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eli.gby, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Eli.gby, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

Eli.gby macrumors newbie

I completed my preorder on Sep14 @ 4:45am EST for a 64gb Black iPhone 5.
    Up until this morning, my AT&T is still showing my order at: processing/ pending shipment/ backordered

I just called and cancelled my preorder. I will also be leaving AT&T.
    I have had enough.

This past week, AT&T reps/supervisors/managers have all given me different stories.
    I have been:

1) told I should receive my phone on time for ordering before the 9am cutoff.
    2) told that I missed the cutoff, and AT&T doesn't know when they ship my phone
    3) told that i have no idea what my place in the order line is (despite ordering at 4:45am EST), and that I cannot make any claim to AT&T being late with my order.
    4) told that Sep21 delivery is only suggested. Apparantly, i didnt read the fine print when ordering.
    5) told my phone will ship Sep21
    6) told my phone will ship no earlier than Oct4-15
    7) told shipping my phone can take 14-21 business days
    8) told I dont need to accept terms and conditions
    9) told my phone is backordered because I did not accept the terms and conditions
    10) told that iPhone5 "phone upgrade"-orders have priority over "new line"-orders
    11) told my phone is scheduled to ship "tonight" (on Sep20)
    12) was hung up on by a nasty condescending manager

A nice rep did some digging for me and found that because I "added a line", which didn't process till 2pm(!), that I missed the 9am cutoff point.

I honestly still feel cheated only because AT&T won't be straight with us.
    I can understand the logistical nightmare, especially for AT&T. But no other serious company today repeatedly lies so badly to its customers all the time, if not downright brush them off.

Oh yeah, I told AT&T that I see many many people even on at&t's own customer forum saying that they received tracking numbers for orders they placed after 9am. 2 mangers and 1 rep all told me flat out that everyone is lying.

Posting this on AT&T forums resulted in several AT&T forum "gurus" (AT&T ******* employees) replying just to compliment AT&T and say that Apple and Verizon are doing no better. LMAO!
    See here for lulz:
    http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-Community-Discussion/Goodbye-AT-amp-T/m-p/3308893/

2. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

3. HXGuy macrumors 68000

What are your options though really? Verizon and voice and data at the same time? No thanks. Sprint and their slow network or practically non existent LTE network?

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Sorry you had that experience. :(

I'm not some AT&T fanboy by any means but I've always got top notch customer service from them.

Hope you find greener pastures somewhere else.

GL!

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I never had any issues with AT&T except dropped calls and that is why I switched to Verizon. I would caution you before you switch that if you go to Verizon that you will likely be paying more each month.

6. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

So you'll leave a carrier for not receiving a phone. No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

7. Eli.gby thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have signed up for Verizon now.

I can live with "no simultaneous voice/data". Though this doesnt effect you when your on WiFi.

Verizon has an exellent network too.

Plus, I get my iPhone unlocked!
    Really useful for me when I travel abroad. AT&T has denied me this for so long, despite having multiple lines and contracts.

Of course, Verizon has its own problems. Its union-run, for one thing.
    But mostly their customer service is more straight-forward.

----------

No, I am not 2 years old.

I left AT&T for their condescending customer-service, their screwed-up systems (i do feel bad for their reps having to deal with it, and I am a programmer), and anti-consumer policies.

Only AT&T will make your early upgrade fee more expensive than your early termination fee. Only AT&T will advise you to cancel your order when your unhappy instead of actually do something to help.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Sorry to see you go. On a bright note, AT&T waived my upgrade fee. I love their service. :)

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Somewhere in a parallel universe there is a thread running on how Verizon jipped some dude out of an iPhone and he happily switched to AT&T.

It's the Yin Yang of the iPhone world.

10. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Actually, you could go to Straight Talk, $45 per month, no locking required, uses the same AT&T cell towers.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

First of all, the same thing happened with the 4S 'pre-orders,' only this year they actually let you cancel. Last year it took 2 weeks of calling to get them to cancel the fake pre-orders. That's why I ordered through Apple.com. I received my phone around 9:45AM on Launch Day.

Secondly, Verizon Wireless and Verizon are not the same company. Verizon (landline phone company) is union. Verizon Wireless is not.

I will say though, having had both carriers, the coverage I have with AT&T is nowhere near as good as what I had with Verizon.

12. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Same here. Never had a problem with AT&T's customer service in the few years that I've been with them. They waived my upgrade fee yesterday as well.

13. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Is this much drama really necessary over a phone? Really, LOL.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Not only did they waive my upgrade fee, they gave me $60 credit because my phone did not activate until 2:30PM on Friday.

15. ann713 macrumors 6502a

First world problems I guess, haha.

16. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

AT&T has customer dis-service not customer service. I had a lady call me over a complaint and call me a liar, I was looking at the chat transcript when she accused me, quoted it verbatim. Anyhow, I'm over it.

Very happy with verizon so far, i was reluctant to go into a verizon store because of my experiences with att wireless corporate stores. I had road side assistance and navigation added to my account one time and when the iphone 4 came out i had an att store sales lady tell me she would not sell me a phone unless i bought an accessory, that they were holding them for people who bought additional accessories (manager sorted it out).

Verizon store totally opposite experience. The guy asked where i worked, tracked down a 17% discount, added it to my account, added my fathers phone onto our shared plan. Servers were busy and he said I shouldn't have to wait he would call me when it was done. (figured that was the last i would hear of him) called me later that night said he was going home, but the servers will still bogged down and he would follow up tomorrow. Sure enough he called me this afternoon to let me all systems were go. FYI ATT that's what you call customer service.

17. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Though ATT may have screwed up some orders , they did have to move a few hundred thousand phones inside of a week. One of my two phones is still "processing" for unknown reasons. I will wait a few more days before calling them.

Part of their problem is surely related to people who felt it so freaking important to call in and bug them, over and over. And demand answers that the people on the other hand can only guess at. Every phone call only delayed the process.

With customers like this, I would just close my doors before dealing with them. As one poster said, they will not miss you.

18. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Just wait til you have real disappointment in your life with something serious.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why would you inquire about terms and conditions, at which point you were told that, then refuse to accept them? Makes no sense.

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

AT&T service sucks.

To be fair, they always waived my upgrade fees, were courteous, etc.. However, when I had a real ISSUE. It took me sending an email, several calls including speaking to a "manager" and finally got it resolved only after sharing my displeasure with their twitter team.

I add AT&T to the list of great companies I never had to contact for an issue.

That was part of the reason I decided to just but the iPhone 5 at no commitment pricing rather than upgrade.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Unless you have intl travel, I have no idea what this makes any sense. If you do stay with them for 2 years (20 months), they why pay all the extra money. If you do decide to leave, then pay the ETF. But, chances are, you will not.

I just do not get it.

22. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Verizon and the simultaneous voice and data isn't a big deal to a lot of people, and not a problem at all if you're connected to WiFi. I think that Verizon's combination of very few dropped calls, excellent voice coverage, and by far the most comprehensive LTE network in the nation are all huge benefits. I know that customer service varies from person to person, but Verizon has been very accommodating to me and my family. They even bumped up the early upgrade date by a week so we could order an additional iPhone. For what it's worth, I've had an excellent experience with Verizon; much better than US Cellular and AT&T, who were the two carriers I was with before Verizon.

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, kind of.

Verizon has no early upgrade. So next year, if you want a new iPhone, you'll be paying $649+, or their early termination fee.

24. Jedclampit macrumors newbie

LOL!!

Yes, no company is perfect anymore. Those days are long gone. In-store customer service is you best option. People on the phone are tec 1 (new hires reading out of a manual) most of the time. I been frustrated by phone support myself. The best part is when they ask the same question over and over again :eek:

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

A co worker wasn't informed when he purchased a device at a VZW store at subsidized pricing and lost his unlimited data.