Goodbye TPP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SteveJobzniak, Jan 22, 2017.

1. SteveJobzniak, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017

SteveJobzniak Suspended

SteveJobzniak

Well, this is definitely awkward. Will the internet now suddenly, unironically say "Thanks Trump", or will they now claim to have liked TPP all along? Remember about a year ago when everyone hated the TPP? Are we going to see some impressive mental gymnastics yet again, as the increasingly neurotic anti-Trumpers hunt for the 5% that was good in the TPP and ignore the 95% steaming turd that was ready to drop on the American people?

Good thing Clinton lost. "The TPP sets the gold standard in trade agreements to open, free, transparent, fair trade, the kind of environment that has the rule of law and a level playing field." - Hillary Clinton

And Hillary was totally right, at least in a world where "open, transparent and fair" equals "written through backroom deals with corporations and attempted to be silently passed without letting the public look at what was about to ruin their lives".

Clinton was corrupt as hell and wanted more of the same, failing, anti-American policies we had in place the past 30 years. That's what ticked most people off about her. I would have loved a female president, but not that crooked witch of the west. Her alleged "charities" are under a handful of FBI investigations (at least 1 is still ongoing, possibly 4 still ongoing), and they are finally shutting down since donations have dried up now that she can't sell power anymore. Thank God we dodged that bullet.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Trump-era-begins/US-announces-withdrawal-from-TPP

byetpp.png

Funniest of all were the media's cries of "Trump will be lazy and take the first weekend o---", "Trump will never repeal Obamaca---", "Trump won't withdraw from the TP---". I wonder how long this will go on until they say "Oh ****, he's fulfilling every campaign promise". I can't wait for "Trump will never build the wa---". Enough with the drugs and guns and human trafficking and criminal illegals flowing across the wide-open border!

2. CE3 macrumors 6502a

The TPP has been dead in the water for quite some time, but yes, this is good news. Let's hope another disastrous trade deal doesn't replace it.

Clinton and Trump are both corrupt and dishonest, which is why they're both severely disliked by so many.

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Well TiPP died on our side a last year, so everything Trumps doing now is just pompos grandstanding with 0 realworld effect.

Also the reasons why the US is and has lossing jobs has very little to do with TiPP, Nafta or else but everything with US products not being marketable in the rest of the world and an overvalued $ due to it being the world reserve currency.

4. SteveJobzniak, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017

SteveJobzniak thread starter Suspended

SteveJobzniak

That's where you are wrong. The plan was to silently pass TPP without letting the public look at it. When that didn't work and it became known, the plan was to quickly pass it via Obama. When that didn't work (too much attention on how destructive the TPP was to the American people), they realized that they had no time left to modify the TPP (5000 pages of poison) before the election. So the globalists' final plan became to elect Hillary and have her pass a slightly modified TPP after some time in office. She was strongly in favor of it (that's her private (as opposed to public) position).

"But If Everybody's Watching, You Know, All Of The Back Room Discussions And The Deals, You Know, Then People Get A Little Nervous, To Say The Least. So, You Need Both A Public And A Private Position." -- Hillary Clinton

That's what I mean by "we dodged a bullet". She wanted more of the same corruption, and was completely out of touch with the public. Her entire campaign was spent divisively attacking Trump and half of America, and she spread no positivity or energy at all. Her only message was "It's her turn".

By the way, Trump has set his next sight: Re-negotiating NAFTA to replace "free" trade (it is NOT free to the American people) with FAIR trade. We would not have seen that from Hillary in a million years! Are you beginning to see why we voted for Trump? It has nothing to do with racism or xenophobia or sexism. It has everything to do with our country being in the gutter and needing to have the pus drained from its festering boils of corruption. We turned off the lying, divisive, corrosive corporate media, and listened to Trump directly from the source, and made an informed choice to vote against the Establishment. He has been the exact same man with the same pro-American views for the past 30 years. He is a bit crude but he is genuine. And we will never again see a candidate with enough money to run against the Establishment (his campaign cost about half a billion dollars), so we took our one and only chance to vote for true Change and Hope.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Again, TTiP was dead on the EU side, so whatever a POTUS Hillary may have signed would have had 0 meaning.

Trump has also offcourse ever and allway will be "Trump 1st" (screw everyone else). If that meant produciong goods in China or giving lipservice to disgrunteld voters hes done it, but the endgame allways remained the same.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not sorry to see the TPP go although it was long gone in any recognizable form anyway. But wanting to renegotiate NAFTA is a sign that a lot of Trump voters don't get how the world works. For example I'm looking at buying a new pickup truck, they are expensive but I can still afford them. However if Trump makes it so that they get a 35% tariff they go from expensive to unaffordable and they don't get bought. That hurts the Americans who work in importing them and selling them. Beyond cars I'm pretty sure a lot of people like being able to get fresh fruits and vegetables in the winter, which is only possible at reasonable prices because of free trade.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because you were a cheap skate many Americans didn't get to work, it cuts both ways. Are you supporting Mexico's economy or Americas? It can be both as long as the trade balance is fair.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Hillary Clinton betrayed the working class by backing NAFTA and TPP. That is one of the many reasons she lost the election.

American First!

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

so not wanting to go into debt to afford an extra 35% cost on an already expensive item that gives me no benefit from the increased cost makes me a cheapskate?

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

How about when you can't afford an extra anything because there isn't a job for you to work to buy it?

I believe that once things are made here and more job options become available, we will have a better plateau.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No but there is an imbalance in the country and it may not be a pain-free fix, but it's one that does need to occur. Back when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's no everyone had the biggest and best TV or Electronics, kids didn't automatically get the latest and greatest of anything for near nothing. Not everyone drove luxury cars, etc.

There's a balance needed between affordable goods and being a far less consumer driven fed-by-others society. America first also means that we should be more able to stand on our own two feet and be proud to do so. It doesn't mean F-everyone else, but it does mean being strong, capable and ready to do what needs done.

We need to become a nation that cares for it's own people and our interests first. It does us little to no good to not put our oxygen masks on first before we look to help others.

13. AsherN macrumors 6502

That pickup, assembled in Mexico, has parts from the US, Canada and Mexico in it. A lot of those crossed the borders over a dozen times before final assembly. The NA auto industry has been highly integrated since the Auto Pact was signed in the early '60s.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

but Auto Pact didn't include Mexico and it was eventually superseded by the NAFTA which is a fuster cluck that needs renegotiated badly.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes, much like shopping Walmart when your neighbor owns the local grocer. Much like rural cities across the nation get hallowed out by this activity the nation will eventually as well if there is only a race to the bottom dollar.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This is just one reason why the American working class voted for Trump and voted against Hillary.

18. AsherN macrumors 6502

You're right, the AP was only Canada and US. As was the original FTA. Are you ready to pay the additional cost for every car if you kick Mexico out? How about fruits and vegetables?

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

If needed yes. and based on the fact that so many others are so willing to pay more taxes and addtional dollars to support Obamafail, I don't think they will mind either. After all Americans Supporting Americans is who we are right? Freedom isn't free and the price we pay to insure we're not so reliant on others is worth it.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think you're talking about something else; the TPP is the Trans-Pacific Partnership and is between 12 countries, none of which are in the EU (a list of them is here).

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

An irony of NAFTA: US agriculture is more efficient than that of Mexico. We've exported beans and corn to Mexico for sale at prices lower than the prices needed by Mexican farmers to survive. That led to bankruptcies and thus increased the flood of illegals into the US.

Their imports of yellow corn dramatically reduced the availability of white corn. The processing of white corn made it a protein source that's unavailable from yellow corn (I don't know why). When that all began, the price of tortillas doubled and in some areas tripled. Efforts at subsidies in pricing added to budget problems. And certain health problems arose.

Lots of unintended consequences from these trade agreements. What's positive for the Big Guys is often harmful to "just folks".

22. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If I remember correctly TTIP is dependand on TTP, therefore if TTP is gone TTIP is gone. I might be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Regardless of whether you voted for Trump or Hillary - one thing is for certain, you can't use "crooked" to apply to one and not the other.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

50 shades of Crooked.