Goodish Article in New York Times

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FunkyMonkey, Nov 24, 2008.

1. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

This article was featured in my local paper and I'd thought I'd share it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/opinion/22collins.html?em

2. JLatte macrumors 6502

Meh. Frankly I found the article to be amateurishly written. She fantasized about the possibility of Bush resigning and Obama becoming President early (he's not ready yet, still needs to build his cabinet) and then completely argued the other side about why it wouldn't work out yet. By the end of the article, all that I really learned is that this lady has an opinion, and then refuted her own opinion and ended with "Time for change".

While we're talking about ridiculous fantasies, I'd like a pink pony that shoots fire and rains hell upon my enemies.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a puff piece... nothing more or less.

As for would-be President Nancy Pelosi, I wouldn't trust her with my car keys if she were running valet parking, much less the keys to the White House. Sorry.

4. FunkyMonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I definitely see how she sounds amateurish and she is definitely not an amazing writer. But she does have a couple good points. And I'm not quite sure about the ending either.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Not that she would take the job even if it were to happen, but why such vehement opposition to her?

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yeah. I mean, putting them all in jail for a year? Surely they could have come up with something better to end such a trendsetting series.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, aside from the fact that the Constitution doesn't allow at all for what she's proposing, it's still a crappy article.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe I owe her a more thorough review of her record, but I have just been struck that she seems quite opportunistic in her dealings with the Bush White House -- at times she vocally criticizes other people for political partisanship and then does the same thing herself. She seems to insist on issues of important, basic American morals and values, that it is not right to go after the President personally, and yet she does so herself on relatively minor issues that don't have broad, life-or-death impact.

I'm just not aware of anything she's done that's useful to the American people or consistent with the values of the Democratic Party, in the time she's been in office....

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm pretty sure she was working with Senate majority leader Reid in order to pass both the increase in the minimum wage and SCHIP (which ultimately got vetoed).

From what I know of her (she's been on local news broadcasts several times in the past), she's pretty much a standard liberal Democrat. I think she was acting very cautiously for the past two years because she wanted to ensure a strong victory this year.

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Man, we need better thread titles. It should be "An article in NY Times about Bush early transition" or something. That way we don't get our hopes up. :rolleyes:

11. FunkyMonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha I guess you could say it is up to interpretation.

*Title changed.

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

For starters, she pulled a major snafu during the first vote on the bailout. Although you can find lots of folks who blame this speech for the bailout's failure, it's a pretty safe bet the bailout was doomed anyway. Pelosi's biggest mistake was that she let the conservatives USE her speech as an excuse to vote against it.

Had she kept her mouth shut, the headline the next day would have been on the nay votes, not her speech. Very dumb move. Very rookie move.

mt

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Does that specifically make her unpresidential? Sure the speech served as fodder for the Republicans, but a lot of people knew that the real reason so many nay votes came down was because the bill itself was unpopular with people in Congressional districts.

Had she been in the Oval Office, she would have undoubtedly played her hand differently. In the case of the bailout, she really had nothing to lose or gain by its passage. If the Republicans had really kept blaming her remarks for its failure, then they would have eventually been deemed petty and selfish, and Newt Ginrich can tell you what happens when you do that.

14. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Yes, in my book. Or at least it shows she can't foresee how her opponents will react when she plays her hand. Not a good trait one wants in a president. (Presidential? Are you serious?)

And by opening her mouth at a time of national crisis, she looked pretty petty herself. This alone won't be enough to spark an internecine challenge, but when someone finally decides to oppose her leadership, this event will be one of the talking points on why she has to go.

mt

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I suppose for that one instance, but I'm not convinced that that alone will make her a bad president. Every good president makes mistakes at some point, and that's how they learn.

Now maybe if she made mistakes on the order of Sarah Palin, I would agree.
    The only time House members ever launch a rebellion against the Speaker is when they come dangerously close to losing their seats (and even then, not always). Ginrich didn't lose his seat after the whole Air Force One debacle; he lost it after the Republicans lost seats in the 1998 elections and were holding onto the House by some rather thin margins.

Pelosi is still top dog when it comes to fundraising, and you know the old saying, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

16. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

She also delegated a good bit of the fundraising to Chris Van Hollen, then denied him a chance to move up in the party when he produced phenomenal improvement for the party.

CVH should have 20 or so Dems in his corner who are in office thanks to the DCCC and a handful more who staved off strong GOP challengers. Certainly not enough to challenge Pelosi outright, but she should watch her back.

mt