Google CEO testifying before the House Judiciary Committee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Rhonindk, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

So how did it go? I can't imagine it was any more than House members asking the same questions over and over and not understanding what their staffers wrote for them to ask.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I'm still waiting on the highlights of this interview, but it sounds like both parties in Congress completely messed up this interview.

The idiot question award definitely goes to Steve King of Iowa..

from Wired: "Rep. Steve King (R-IA) asked Pichai why his granddaughter saw negative news about him on her iPhone. "

Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, the fact that Congress is so technologically inept is a major concern going forward.

Just add that to the list of things Congress doesn't understand
    • Science
    • Women's bodies
    • Climate
    • Technology
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2018 ---
    Also a highlight: When Ted Lieu (D-CA) called compared the Google results from Rep Scalise (R-LA) to the results of the aforementioned Mr. King. Scalise's results were about his book. King's results were about him being a racist.

Lieu chalked it up to this: "If you want positive search results, do positive things"

4. Huntn, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

5. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Going to finish watching it later.
    So far it has been “What about privacy”, “Google does not have bias in search - Dems”, “Google has bias in search - GOP”, “How are you handing the Russian interference”, and “Are you tracking me?”.

Looks more like .... I need to finish watching first,

6. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

I got a kick out of Sundar Pichai confirming today that The Russians!™ stole the 2016 election for an expenditure of US$4700 on advertising on Google and YouTube, overcoming the US$1.4 billion raised and spent on behalf of Hillary Clinton. Talk about doing more with less. They get results. How do I hire The Russians!™?

7. hawkeye_a, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Hey come on, dont you know that identity-politics, communism and climate-o-phobia are completely rational, legitimate, mainstream platforms to run on? A bunch of self serving politicians with outstanding speech writers and mega donors told me so. /s

In all seriousness though, aren’t you glad that a bunch of elitists from wall-street, silly valley, hollywood and the mainstream media can’t determine the outcome of elections?

8. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why when you can earn £500 a day as an IT contractor would you become an MP which is a harder job with similar job security and less pay?

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ok - I laughed out loud :)

(Note: it's algorithms not logarithms :) )

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12