Google chrome 3.0 for mac in a "couple of months". Would you use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tooz, Sep 16, 2009.

?

Would you use Chrome for mac?

1. Yes - Primary Browser

24.1%
  2. Yes - Secondary browser

43.1%
  3. No

32.8%
  1. tooz macrumors 6502

Would you use it?

after using it on an old PC, I have to say that safari is better.
    LINK

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I'm already using Google Chrome beta on my Mac as my primary web browser. Unlike Safari and WebKit, I never get beach balls on Google Chrome.

3. djellison macrumors 68020

Depends how nicely it plays with Flash.

I'd quite happily switch if it performs better.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why wouldn't I switch if it was found to be better? :confused:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not interested in chrome - safari does a good job for me. Besides, google's got their mitts in just about everything these days. They're the Microsoft in this decade - trying to control everything.

6. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

I used to really like Google's bare-bones approach to everything, so I really liked Chrome on my old PC. But after a while of using it, I always went back to Firefox. Chrome was just a little TOO bare-bones.

I thought I'd keep using Firefox when I switched to Mac, but I decided to use Safari instead and after just a few days, it became my browser of choice. It seems to work so much better on Mac than on PC. As long as I have my Adblock and Delicious plug-ins, it turns out I don't need anything else. So now Safari is my bare-bones browser of choice.

But if Chrome for Mac could have the same functionality as Safari, and look just as purdy... I might make it my primary browser. Maybe.

It just can't have that bright blue color title bar like on Windows XP. It works on Windows, but NOT on Mac. It's called Chrome... I don't know why it can't LOOK Chrome. :p

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I tried the beta on Windows when they first released it, and, honestly, detested the way they did the interface.

Pundits rave about how fast it is, but tbh, I find Safari fast enough already and didn't notice that much of a difference when I tried Chrome. At least, not enough to matter to me.

What really irks me however is the fact that Google (becoming more Microsoftian w every project) enters a market that loses them money just so they can dominate it. They release yet another browser that now I'm going to worry about developing for. They could have put the hundreds of millions of dollars that would have gone into bringing, for all intents and purposes, a useless piece of software to market and given it to a good charity where it would have served a much, much more noble purpose.

So, no. Couple that with the fact I really don't like Google's monopolistic approach and I wouldn't touch Chrome with a ten foot pole.

Shame, Google.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If people make plugins for it like adblock, vBulletin management, noscript, flashblock.

vBulletin management makes reading MR so much easier. I just put the mouse on top of the next page button and scroll when I hit the end of the page I click.

9. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Chrome follows the same standards as safari and you don't have to worry about developing for chrome as anything in chrome will look the exact same as it does in safari and usually same as firefox, IE is what you have to worry about.

For everyone saying Google is becoming Microsoft? Um last I check Google offers great services for FREE, Microsoft offers crap services for a FEE!

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm using Chrome as my primary browser on XP.

Pros: No freezing or lockups at all, unlike FF does at times.
    Cons: The UI stinks and it's a memory hog.:mad:

All in all, I'd use it as my primary browser on OS X, but ONLY for browsing. For online transactions and web emails, I'd still use Safari.

11. MaTUC macrumors regular

Mm no.. I use Safari as primary browser and Camino as secondary and I also have Firefox installed somewhere... xD

12. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Livermore, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    There's an option missing from the poll, which is: "I'd use it if they every get around to releasing the damn thing from Beta."

13. foshizzle macrumors regular

I'd make it my primary browser because I am impressed with the windows version, but I really hope it will do just one thing: Opened my tabs from my last session automatically upon startup. I know Firefox does this, and Safari I can click to do so, but I really want that functionality again. I really do not like the new Firefox 3.5, Safari 4.0 kicks it's butt so I switched to using it as my primary browser. I really like the interface of Chrome on windows and I hope they can make it as such on the Mac and Linux platforms. I also would really like to be able to sync my bookmarks and history up to my gmail account, and be able to sync these with other computers automatically.

So many people think Google has a hold on too much info. I prefer to embrace the fact that I can have my mac/iPhone contacts sync with my gmail account, can have all kinds of shared calendars that I sync with iCal on my mac and iPhone, and would love to sync my bookmarks and history with Chrome. Its a great idea to have everything in the cloud as a backup. Which is also why I'm looking forward to the Chrome OS next year. I really think it has potential , however, I'd never replace my primary OS which is Mac OS X.

Edit: I second with the post above me ^^^^^

14. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I'd certainly try it out but I must admit Safari 4 (esp. with Snow Leopard) has me hooked. Used to be a Firefox user but I find Safari really snappy now and the Top Sites button is used more than the Bookmarks menu.

BTW, I think Google have been fabulous in developing FREE applications. More power to them...

15. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I'll stick with Safari. It is very well-integrated with MobileMe sync to/from iPhone.

16. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Remains to be seen!
    It is not out yet, and hence hard to say what it will look like, how it will function, and such. I will certainly give it a try though.

17. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I use chrome on my netbook and love it. I will definitely give it a try on my macbook, but who knows if I'll use it as my default browser.

18. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The newest builds of Chrome for the Mac are faster than the latest build of Safari from my experience.

19. pejusdas macrumors newbie

Install Chrome for you Mac

http://pejusdas.com/content/chrome-updater

You can use this script to install the latest build of Chrome on your Mac. It is pretty stable to use. Having said that, use it at your own discretion.

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Unfortunately for you, Chrome uses WebKit as well.

21. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

+1

22. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm perfectly happy with Safari as my primary browser and Firefox as my secondary. I don't envisage even downloading Chrome.

23. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Exactly

I can't see it offering any more than Safari or Firefox, so why switch?

24. Erunno macrumors newbie

This has nothing to do with WebKit (plus, Chrome uses a different JavaScript engine). Chrome has a completely different architecture than Safari that was designed to keep the UI responsive at all times even if some tabs do some heavy lifting.

Yes, I'll probably use Chrome once the stable channel gets its first release. Unlike Safari Chrome is also a good browser and not just a good engine with a unambitious UI slapped on top of it. Plus, Google seems to make all the right choices for their OS X port: native Cocoa interface, integration with the dictionary and keychain, adherence to the OS X interface guidelines (where possible). Once extensions are supported with version 4 and Google manages to build a healthy developer community Firefox will have to make some major strides to not be left in the dust.