Google Confirms Free Turn-by-Turn Directions Coming to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samdale, Apr 23, 2010.

1. samdale macrumors newbie

2. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

They already have

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

That is good of them. I bet there will be some negative spin by users here but its good to see Google look after more than themselves.

4. samdale thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, i meant exclusively for android phones

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What makes you think this?

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Well they don't lock others out from using their services unlike some others (Google Voice for instance).

It will be interesting to see if this is a seperate app. From what I know the maps app on the iPhone is done by Apple.

7. samdale thread starter macrumors newbie

This doesn't answer your question, but I think the recent introduction of this feature in the UK on android was an update for the Google Maps app.

I would have thought Apple would update their Maps app - having free turn-by-turn would be a great selling feature for those who haven't already moved to the iPhone. Good luck TomTom

(on a side note, why isn't this topic appearing in the 'Recent Comments' on the right hand side of the homepage. Did I start this thread in the wrong place? I'm new to this)

8. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

9. Mr dj mo macrumors member

Brilliant news this, let's hope it makes it through to the app store though :rolleyes:

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

The navigation worked for me without having to update the maps app at all.: )
    I believe that the navigation is built in to all of the Android versions with the navigation part done Google's side.

11. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

iPhone users are likely to get this before MOST of the Android users because majority of them are stuck with the old version of Android which can't run this application. Generally, the OEM are very slow at best to give them firmware upgrade after they're purchased. This application requires 2.1 I believe.

12. androiphone macrumors 65816

it requires android 1.6 and you only needed to update the maps app if you already had an old version, yes you are right that the specific routing is done on the sever side, the maps app still needs the specific functionality being built in, therefore for it to be applied to the iphones built in maps app (which is how I would like to see it) there will have to be an update to actually provide the 'voice navigation' button that you can press

13. ethical macrumors 68000

This is google's way of keeping their foot in the iPhone door. Either way...it satisfies the customers!

14. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Please get your facts straight. It will run on 1.6 and up, and there are much fewer Android 1.5 devices compared to those running 1.6 and 2.1.

It will be the end of earth before Apple ports iTunes to other platforms. Google Navigation is a strong selling point on Android yet they don't try to keep it for Android users only.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

The GOOGLE MAPS APP IS DONE BY APPLE? Why not call it Apple maps then? Google maps is a Google product...didn't Apple buy another company for their mapping service? why would they do that if they already have a map Application?

16. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

It is Google's way to continue to collect information about people that use their services.

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

It's called maps, not Google Maps. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If it was developed by Google, don't you think they would have added Google Latitude to the maps app instead of developing a separate app that ultimately got rejected?