Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google appears to be working on a facial recognition system that would offer similar security to Face ID, based on code for the next-generation version of Android that was highlighted by XDA Developers.

Code in Android Q, set to be shown off at Google's developer conference in May, points towards an advanced facial recognition system that would be secure enough to be used for authorizing purchases and signing into apps, in addition to unlocking a smartphone.

faceidscaniphonex-800x493.jpg

Furthermore, the code references a built-in hardware based sensor through error messages that are highlighted when the sensor is unable to properly detect a face.

Combined, these two factors suggest that Google is expecting future smartphones to feature an advanced facial recognition system that could perhaps be as secure as Face ID.

Android Q code referencing a secure face unlock system. Click to enlarge.​

Right now, there are Android devices that are using 2D facial recognition techniques to replace a passcode, but none of those systems are based on 3D face scans like Face ID. Facial recognition used by Android right now is more rudimentary and easily fooled, which is why Android devices continue to use fingerprint sensors for operations that need more security like payments.

The Android Q code indicates Google is building a native secure facial recognition option into the next version of Android, which would allow smartphone manufacturers to create systems that rival Face ID.

Android Q code referencing a secure face unlock system. Click to enlarge.​

Face ID was first introduced in 2017 in the iPhone X, and has since expanded to the iPhone XR, XS, XS Max, and the 2018 iPad Pro models. At the time Face ID was introduced, respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested the sophistication of the 3D camera system Apple uses would be unable to be matched by Android smartphone makers for 2.5 years.

One and a half years later, there are still no Android smartphone manufacturers that have created a front-facing camera system similar to the TrueDepth camera system able to be used for all secure system functions like payments.

Google's work on adding secure facial recognition code to Android does, however, suggest that Android devices with Face ID-like systems are in the works and coming soon.

Article Link: Google Developing More Secure Face ID-Style Facial Recognition System for Android Devices

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Irrespective of anyone views on which brands people think are best.
I hope we can all come together and agree, any enhancements to security for easy use by the public, is always good news.
Enhancing privacy and the inability of others to access your data should be welcomed no matter what device, or brand of device anyone chooses to own.

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
One and a half years later, there are still no Android smartphone manufacturers that have created a front-facing camera system similar to the TrueDepth camera system able to be used for all secure system functions like payments.

First of all, this quote makes it seem like no one is capable of engineering something like the pitiful and ugly TrueDepth camera. I mean, maybe, just maybe Samsung/Google/whatever aren't interested in gimmicks like Apple is. That's what FaceID is. It's a gimmick. Fingerprint is way more secure and easier and companies like Samsung are investing in under-glass fingerprint readers—something Apple FAILED to do because they can't engineer their way out of a paper bag.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
In the end, it is good for consumers to have another secure alternative...

The question is... will their new phone cost over 1k???

Reactions: HJM.NL

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Right now, there are Android devices that are using 2D facial recognition techniques to replace a passcode, but none of those systems are based on 3D face scans like Face ID.
there are already Android phones that do 3D Facial recognition, like the Xiaomi Mi 8 for example. They have been doing it since mid 2018.

Reactions: joltball

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I'm don't get why everyone keeps copying Apple. Go your own path. I actually miss touch I'd, face ID works but it requires more attention to work consistently

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
MR: "Right now, there are Android devices that are using 2D facial recognition techniques to replace a passcode, but none of those systems are based on 3D face scans like Face ID. Facial recognition used by Android right now is more rudimentary and easily fooled, which is why Android devices continue to use fingerprint sensors for operations that need more security like payments."

This is simply untrue. Some Huawei phones (P20 Pro) have the same face recognition system as iPhone. It was released soon after iPhone X (March 2018) so all claims about Apple being "years ahead" of Android in this regards are bogus.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I managed to find what I believe to be a demo of this Google-developed facial recognition. It actually doesn't seem that bad:

VisageID.gif

First of all, this quote makes it seem like no one is capable of engineering something like the pitiful and ugly TrueDepth camera. I mean, maybe, just maybe Samsung/Google/whatever aren't interested in gimmicks like Apple is. That's what FaceID is. It's a gimmick. Fingerprint is way more secure and easier and companies like Samsung are investing in under-glass fingerprint readers—something Apple FAILED to do because they can't engineer their way out of a paper bag.
And now Google and other Android manufacturers are spending time and money developing their own variations on this "gimmick". Even the companies you feel the need to shoehorn into each of your posts don't agree with your appraisal of Apple's biometrics.

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Secure?

Google: “hello mr nsa... can you see their faces through our new face id tech?”

Nsa: “yes, we scanned every detail of their faces...including their zits.”
No need.... your face is photographed pretty much every time you go out in public.
From traffic cameras to CCTV cams in stores, security cameras at work, and let's not forget all those pics everyone plasters all over social media.
Oh and that government issued ID or Drivers License... I really don't think the NSA cares about this new feature.
They know what you look like. ;)
[doublepost=1548714020][/doublepost]
Let's see if they can fix the false positives of Face ID. Still prefer fingerprint for unlocking without taking eyes of road and retina for MFA for transactions and secure folder. Begs the question if face recognition is needed at all.
Still one of the features I miss about my old phone. Not having to stare at it to unlock it.
Fingerprint was fast and discrete.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm don't get why everyone keeps copying Apple. Go your own path. I actually miss touch I'd, face ID works but it requires more attention to work consistently
I'd like to see phones offer both options. Sometimes Face ID is more convenient and sometimes the fingerprint scanner is. Most of the time I prefer fingerprint scanning, but when my hands are wet or I am cooking and don't want to touch anything but food, I have appreciated being able to rap the screen on my Xr can with a knuckle and unlocking it with Face ID to quickly check the phone.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005

1. pitiful and ugly. Pitiful. Hmm, it works and works well. I don't understand how that is pitiful. Ugly. If you're talking about "the notch"... This is how true depth is implemented, not true depth itself. You can't really see the true depth camera to call it ugly
2. maybe other companies aren't interested in gimmicks. You mean like having the screen on the edge of your phone or a punchout for a camera? Those aren't gimmicks but putting a truedepth camera in is? And why do these so called "better" companies want the same gimmick... Maybe, just maybe it's not a gimmick.
3. fingerprint is not way more secure, please cite where you get this from. Here's my claim, "Touch ID is a gimmick compared to Face ID."
4. an investment in under the glass FP readers isn't implementation of it. Apple eliminated the paper bag and took a different path. Your other companies stayed in the paper bag for 2 more years and are just getting out with a less reliable system.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
In the end, it is good for consumers to have another secure alternative...

The question is... will their new phone cost over 1k???
That’s a rhetoric question and something you’ll only see coming from Apple who, in the meantime, ups their prices for introducing under the glass fingerprint scanner :rolleyes:.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
No need.... your face is photographed pretty much every time you go out in public.
From traffic cameras to CCTV cams in stores, security cameras at work, and let's not forget all those pics everyone plasters all over social media.
Oh and that government issued ID or Drivers License... I really don't think the NSA cares about this new feature.
They know what you look like. ;)
[doublepost=1548714020][/doublepost]
Still one of the features I miss about my old phone. Not having to stare at it to unlock it.
Fingerprint was fast and discrete.
They just want a better looking picture heh

Reactions: rjohnstone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.