Google Earth reveals "offensive" buildings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Doctor Q, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

News link

Satellite photos revealed that a Coronado, California naval base has four L-shaped buildings that, seen from above, happen to look like a swastika, although not by design. The buildings are barracks for Seabees.

A radio talk-show host, the Anti-Defamation League, and a congressional representative made a fuss, so the Navy has budgeted $600,000 to hide the shape with landscaping and architectural modifications. (I think I could do the job cheaper, but I guess the government has a lot of overhead no matter what it spends its money on.)

Are the echoes of WWII and the coincidental shape sufficient reasons to make these changes? Or are people going out of their way to be offended? What if a grove of trees grew naturally in such a shape? Would we need to bulldoze them to avoid "sending the wrong message?" Is this an issue only because the buildings are government owned?

The best thing about this news story is the Motley Fool headline! --

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If the radio talk-show host, the Anti-Defamation League, and the congressional representative are so offended by it they should pay the $600k out of their own pockets. We'll see how offended they are then...:rolleyes:

Lethal

3. bartelby macrumors Core

If there's something that could be remotely offensive, someone will be offended by it.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, indeed.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I really doubt that this design was an accident. I can't imagine how someone did not notice this in the pre-design phase. I have been involved in numerous building conceptions and campus designs (albiet not in the 60s) for various military installations and overhead drawings and locality maps to see where the building is going to be located is standard. I am sure the architect realized his design. It is not subtle.

But I don't think the Navy should spend $600K on PR just to make it look like it is not a swastika. I guess there are worse things our government has spent our money on. :(

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Wow, isn't that the (sad) truth!

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If it's gone this long without being noticed, why is it all of a sudden so horrible? It's a collection of ugly government buildings.

If your architect designs your barracks to look like a swastika from the air but no one's up there to see it, is it still offensive?

8. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Heres my question...

Do these people have so little to do in their lives that they are going to complain about something so stupid. Theres much more pressing issues in society. Its a freakin building. Get over it.

9. TimJim macrumors 6502a

thats dumb. they all no that wasent done on purpose and they know that the navy isent advertising nazi's...it was just a dumb architect.

10. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

How do you know it wasn't done on purpose? Maybe it's a giant conspiracy or not a dumb architect, but a brilliant neo-nazi architect.

I only jest of course! : )

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

12. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek:

Argh! MY EYES!!!!!

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Anyone who thinks $600,000 is a lot of money to spend doing work of this scope hasn't spent much time estimating commercial construction costs.

But yes, it's kind of silly to spend that kind of money to "fix" this. The only way I could see justifying it is if you are doing a facility remodel that happens to also fix the swastica problem.

14. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am sure that the civil engineers that maintain that base have known about it for years, seeing as they have large maps of the base. The article even stated that it was discovered in 1967 shortly after ground breaking but they proceeded anyway. It was just now that people who cared enough to complain about it noticed it. :rolleyes:

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You still have eyes? Mine melted.

This is the Hollywood and Highland Center, in Hollywood. Recently voted "Ugliest Building in Los Angeles."

I don't know about that exactly. I think some of the entrants tried too hard.

One photo hardly does this heap justice. It's even uglier in person.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to agree.

You know that prank where someone got a bunch of football fans to hold up cards that spelled "We suck"? This had to be some architect's idea of a similar joke, only on a much, much grander scale.

17. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Isn't it a wee bit myopic to be offended by a symbol that means different things to different people? Im sure there are more Hindus, Buddhists and Jainist (sp?) than there are Nazis in the world. I know there is ill feelings behind it but really this is taking it to far.

In Oslo Norway there is a building that has swastika's on the iron work out side (I believe its an old government building but I cant remember - its been to many years now). They leave it there as a reminder of an awful past - no gets offended.

18. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Before the design was used by the Nazi's it was a symbol for indian tribes.
    Native American traditions

The swastika shape was used by some Native Americans. It has been found in excavations of Mississippian-era sites in the Ohio valley. It was widely used by many southwestern tribes, most notably the Navajo. Among various tribes, the swastika carried different meanings. To the Hopi it represented the wandering Hopi clan; to the Navajo it was one symbol for a whirling winds (tsil no'oli'), a sacred image representing a legend that was used in healing rituals (after learning of the Nazi mimic "whirling winds" the Navajo rejected the symbol).[23] A brightly colored First Nations saddle featuring swastika designs is on display at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum in Canada.[24]
    The Flag of Kuna Yala.
    The Flag of Kuna Yala.

A swastika shape is an ancient symbol in the culture of the Kuna people of Kuna Yala, Panama. In Kuna tradition, it symbolizes the octopus that created the world; its tentacles, pointing to the four cardinal points, gave rise to the rainbow, the sun, the moon and the stars.[25]

In February, 1925, the Kuna revolted against Panamanian suppression of their culture, and were granted autonomy in 1930; the flag they adopted at this time is based on the swastika shape, and remains the official flag of Kuna Yala. A number of variations on the flag have been used over the years: red top and bottom bands instead of orange were previously used, and in 1942 a ring (representing the traditional Kuna nose-ring) was added to the center of the flag to distance it from the symbol of the Nazi party.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Native_American_traditions

I'm sure the building was not made by secret Nazi's inside the US.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm accustomed to seeing swastikas on Japanese maps where the Buddhist temples are located.

There are many more offensive sights in modern times than to worry about the placement of 4 buildings.

Perhaps, they could use the money to construct a nice, fluffy bunny to put on top of them.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Forgive me but where am I looking?:confused:

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not sure I follow. At what, or where?

Not at the hotel in the background, which is just dull. The big quasi-Babylonian arch thing, the elephant crouching on the pedestal thing, the shopping center surrounding the courtyard thing. The entire repulsive lot.

Incidentally, hidden towards the back of this pretty completely hideous forecourt is the Kodak Theater, where the Academy Awards shows are held.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You forgot to mention you can see the Hollywood sign in the background if you look real hard.

Lethal

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Aside from the elephant I think it looks cool.:eek:

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well somebody else obviously did too or it would never have been built. It's a little difficult to appreciate how ridiculously ugly this complex is in just one photo. It's a blending of the totally bizarre with the completely dull. I think it was supposed to come off as playful in an overboard Hollywood sort of way. Instead, it's just weird. A strip-mall on an acid trip.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Nazis ruined the swastika for everyone. Just as Hitler ruined that mustache. Just the way it is.