Google Founders: We Wanted Steve Jobs to Be Google's First CEO

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by kingsal, Oct 29, 2010.

1. kingsal macrumors member

Here's an article that suggests that Larry and Sergey wanted Steve Jobs to be Google's first CEO.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

probably a good thing for everyone that they did not. Steve Jobs is way to much of a control freak to handle the more open workings of Google. If jobs was running google I would say that it is safe to say they would of crashed and burned.
    Jobs would never allow his engineers to spend 20% of their time on side projects.
    Some of the things from google we love to use were all side projects from their engineers. Google Maps I believe was one. Gmail I know has several in it.
    Google Earth started out as a random side project.
    Wave was another. Street view I know was one. Jobs would never of allowed any of that to happen.

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Google Earth was purchased from Keyhole, and out of that came Google Maps.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

might of been wrong on that one but I do know some of the things we use from google were side projects.

Beside no way in hell steve jobs would of done the Gmail thing handing out 1 gig inboxes to everyone which change the face of email forever. At the time the largest free inbox you could get was like 5 megs. I had a 10 meg inbox because it was threw my ISP.
    Gmail comes along and gives everyone free 1 gig inboxes and that had everyone scrambling to give out larger inbox's. That change the rules of the game big time.
    Going from 4 megs to 1 gig over night. If it was not for google I bet we would be lucky to have 20-30 meg inboxes today.

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Android wouldn't be confusing and fragmented.

And they'd have learned how to do a UI properly.

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Android wouldn't have happened because there would be no iPhone. You would be holding a Nokia right now.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That is pure FUD and usually only mentioned by fanboys. Android is no more fragmented then iOS, which has several versions, to support several phones
    (iphone, iphone 2g, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iPad, ipod touch, etc).

There's also no way to say what direction apple and google would have taken had Jobs been at the helm of google.

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

So does this mean Gil Amelio would have played the role of the mole on the Google board of directors a la Eric Schmidt? ;)

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apple actually encourages this also. That's where the new iMovie and iPhone remote.app came from (among other things we don't know about I'm sure). Who knows if it's 20 percent, but they do it.