Google Hangouts App? (or way to get notified on watch of IMs)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by LincolnsiPod, Apr 26, 2015.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I rely heavily on Google Hangouts instant messaging for work, so I'm disappointed that there's no watch app available for it yet (unlike Skype.) I'm wondering if there's a way however to have an iOS notification of a new message from Hangouts show up on my watch anyway, via some third party solution or hack? Maybe customizing Gmail so I get an email notification of a Hangout message (would be better than nothing)? Are others here looking for similar solutions?

2. jhts macrumors newbie

Any push notification from your iPhone shows up on your watch, in the same manner in which it does on your phone.

E.g. If it vibrates on your phone, it will on your Watch, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could see my WhatsApp messages via the notifications that come through to my Watch! These can be disabled on a per-app basis as well.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh that's awesome, that's all I needed too, just a notification! They never really made that clear, whether the watch itself needed a sister app to pair with the iPhone version in order for you to get iOS notifications from that same app. So glad that's not the case. :D

4. jhts macrumors newbie

I happen to know a few people with one already and we're all in agreement that it's the best feature so far. I spend much less time on my phone! And it's not as if you just replace that time with the Watch. You look for a few seconds and if you don't need to respond ASAP, you carry on what you're doing.

Loving it way more than I expected to.

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, can't wait to get mine, still stuck on "processing order" though. :mad::mad::mad:

6. seamor0512 macrumors member

nice, I'm in the same boat with hangouts so thats awesome. I'm sure google will be developing all of their applications for google watch just like they do for other devices.

7. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Don't worry it definitely will notify you. Even when you are typing on your computer