Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Maps for iOS was updated with a number of new features yesterday, including a Notification Center widget for commuters on the move and an in-app option for sharing directions.

The new Travel Times extension for Google's popular iOS maps app allows users to quickly check a live travel time estimation to their home or work with a simple pull down of the Notification Center.

Google-Maps-iOS.jpg

The widget includes a toggle for switching between driving and public transit times, but only functions if users have saved their home and/or work addresses in Google Maps' Settings menu. Tapping on either destination in the Notification Center starts direction navigation from the user's current location.

Other additions in the new version of the app include the ability to share directions via the three-dot icon in the top right of the map navigation screen, and a new setting that allows users to select the unit measurement for distance shown during navigation.

Lastly, users now have control over Google Maps' color scheme, with a night mode toggle as well as an "Automatic" setting that transitions between day and night mode depending on the time of day.

Google Maps is a free download from the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps App Gains Travel Times Widget and Direction Sharing

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Is the setting for Time to Leave new in settings-->notifications? If I can get the time to leave notifications from google maps without the Google app installed I'd be thrilled.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Once again Google demonstrates it's vision, design and development expertise. Moving forward at an unprecedented pace, they've left Apple in the dust.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Once again Google demonstrates it's vision, design and development expertise. Moving forward at an unprecedented pace, they've left Apple in the dust.

Not sure if serious... or trolling sarcastically... because Apple Maps has given me travel times to and from work at my usual commute times for as long as I can remember, in addition to building in travel time for appointments with what has been a far more accurate representation of traffic conditions and pathing than Google or Waze ever gave me... and I use Waze daily simply for police notices, so yes, I use it.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Not sure if serious... or trolling sarcastically... because Apple Maps has given me travel times to and from work at my usual commute times for as long as I can remember, in addition to building in travel time for appointments with what has been a far more accurate representation of traffic conditions and pathing than Google or Waze ever gave me... and I use Waze daily simply for police notices, so yes, I use it.
Have you compared the estimated and actual times of both?

Apple has without exception on the times I have used it, always been wildly optimistic. Waze, scarily accurate.

Reactions: DeanL

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Have you compared the estimated and actual times of both?

Apple has without exception on the times I have used it, always been wildly optimistic. Waze, scarily accurate.

Yes. Waze is always way off. And Apple's is usually spot on. Their traffic updates are less dependent on other users being ahead of you on the road. Being where I am, this also is especially evident when crossing the border, one factors in border time and gives me an accurate idea, the other just gives me the road travel time with what it has for traffic data.

This said... Like I'm driving at here, I always keep waze open in the car for police alerts.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Now if I can make Google Maps the default mapping app in iOS I'd be all set.

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
I've noticed that Apple Maps either shows a much longer travel time during the day where the roads are busy, or an extremely short time at night when the roads are empty (my city only reports traffic info during the day). Google Maps on the other hand seems extremely accurate, to the point that I make it to work from home exactly in the time it says, even accounting for random red lights, an erratic driver, and all sorts of random small delays.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple Maps works OK in most major highly populated areas. But there's lots of areas that years later Apple has still failed to include. We're not talking the distant mountains or desert either, plenty of well populated cities and counties in several states I travel to are being ignored by Apple. However I would expect in the next few years, Apple will eventually get around to catching up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.