Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced an incoming update to its Google Maps for iOS app that will let users add pit stops onto their trips without leaving navigation mode. First introduced on Android last fall, the company said that the pit stop feature will be available in any country where Google Maps navigation is offered, which is "more than 100 worldwide."

From navigation mode, users will just need to tap the magnifying glass located in the top right corner of Google Maps to see a drop down menu of potential pit stops to add to a trip. The menu offers a few automatic options like restaurants and coffee shops, but a search field gives users a more robust option for specifically finding their desired pit stop.

Google-Maps-pit-stop-800x453.jpg
Life is full of the unexpected--things that send us scrambling for a gas station in the middle of nowhere, looking up a florist on our way home from work or searching for a restaurant as we tour the back roads of our latest vacation destination. Finding and navigating to these last-minute pit stops used to force you out of navigation mode in Google Maps--and away from the traffic updates, turn-by-turn directions and map you rely on to stay on track.
Similar to Android, the new function on iOS details both the public rating of the pit stop and the amount of time the detour will add onto a trip, letting users select the best-rated and quickest pit stop beforehand. Prior to the update, Google Maps users would have to manually discover and find a potential pit stop, navigate to the location, and when ready to leave, re-start their original route navigation.

The company said the new update to Google Maps [Direct Link] will see its worldwide rollout to iOS users starting today.

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Gaining New 'Pit Stop' Feature

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Finally someone's doing this genius feature. My biggest headache with GPS navigation. "Turn right. *drives straight* in 50 feet, do a U-Turn. Then turn left. *repeat nonstop*" No bossy GPS lady. I'm just stopping at the gas station!

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I especially like the feature of suggestions along the way. Often I'll be heading somewhere but need to get gas along the way and won't know if there's a station along my route. By the sounds of it that will no longer be a problem.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Finally someone's doing this genius feature. My biggest headache with GPS navigation. "Turn right. *drives straight* in 50 feet, do a U-Turn. Then turn left. *repeat nonstop*" No bossy GPS lady. I'm just stopping at the gas station!

"Proceed to the route."
I will proceed to the route, once I have my damn coffee!

Been wanting this feature for years. Can't believe it's been so non-obvious to driving direction companies.

Like someone else said, my TomTom had this functionality years ago, along with the ability to update a crowd sourced list of pit stops via USB (since there was no cellular connection).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Being car-less in a big city, I got very excited when Apple came out with public transportation options. I can see this as something big for those that take road trips often. Hopefully Apple will do the same soon. Maybe as part of their (rumored) street view update that they are working on.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Wish Apple just can Apple maps and go iOS and google maps integration
Google are only doing this because of Apple maps. Apple dropped Google maps because Google refused to put turn by turn on their iOS version which they had for their Android version. Apple developed Apple maps and dropped Google, it wasn't until after then that Google developed it for iOS. Even this pit stop feature is coming after it's been released for Android. If it wasn't for Apple creating maps as a competitor then we wouldn't even have turn by turn.

Reactions: vvswarup

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

They'll help you plan a pit-stop... I don't think it'll magically recognize when you're making a pit-stop.

Too bad you don't have an EV. No need for gas stations when you start every trip with a full tank.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'd be happy if Apple Maps just let me avoid highways and toll roads like Google Maps does. Say what you want about Apple Maps improving--it might even be true. But Google Maps is still the gold standard on mobile.

Reactions: 0098386 and tyasjs

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Google are only doing this because of Apple maps. Apple dropped Google maps because Google refused to put turn by turn on their iOS version which they had for their Android version. Apple developed Apple maps and dropped Google, it wasn't until after then that Google developed it for iOS. Even this pit stop feature is coming after it's been released for Android. If it wasn't for Apple creating maps as a competitor then we wouldn't even have turn by turn.

whoa now... that's awfully bombastic.

Google Maps had turn by turn since the OG Droid. It was one of its biggest selling features. That was long before Apple Maps.

And I'd imagine Google is doing this, because they -- above all others -- should have had it from the start, or very close to it. Why? Because Google is an Advertising company, first and foremost and well beyond (or baked within) the scope of any other project it does. Knowing that I drive through Dunkin Donuts every morning, among millions of others, will help them know their customers better and sell more ads. There's a reason they're such an effective advertiser, and this would be one of them.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Been wanting this feature for a long time. I hate when I'm trying to find a gas station on a trip and I can't just ask Siri "find the next closest gas station on my route" or something like that.

Reactions: Arran and Vanilla35

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Aren't they basically the same developers at this point given that Google has owned Waze for a while?
Without knowing the inner workings at Google but having worked at companies that have made similar purchases: Quite possibly and most probably not! Google has around 62,000 employees and having worked at many large multinationals all too often the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Without knowing the inner workings at Google but having worked at companies that have made similar purchases: Quite possibly and most probably not! Google has around 62,000 employees and having worked at many large multinationals all too often the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.
Sure. That said, I said more in a way of an exaggerated rhetorical type of question (certainly harder to get that to come across in written form) to say that Waze by the way of Google basically already knows of this as Google are the ones doing that. Whether or not they would do much about it is a different question as it doesn't seem that much has been going on with Waze since Google took over.

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011

That's not quite the same though. What you describe is the likely scenario where you stop at a gas station or for food/coffee. You don't need Google to suggest somewhere, you just need it to pause the navigation while you take a detour to a place you can see in front of you.

So, a simple "pause/resume navigation" button would be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.