Google Maps - Now with Satellite Views

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Okay, maybe I'm the first person not to know this, but I didn't see anything on a search. Go to http://maps.google.com/, which I think most people know of, but then click on the Satellite link.

MapQuest used to have this, but it left a year or so ago. Now it's back with Google. Fun.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wow, that's really cool. Too bad the photos near my house are pretty out of date and don't have a lot of the stuff that has been built in the last year. Although only being out of date by a year, is pretty good. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Macaddicttt said:
Wow, that's really cool. Too bad the photos near my house are pretty out of date and don't have a lot of the stuff that has been built in the last year. Although only being out of date by a year, is pretty good. :)
Better than some of the 5 year old Terraserver views at the Microsoft site.

Didn't quite use the resolution of some of the other sites used to have before they went from free to pay.

But it's now the place to go.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I really like it, even though some of the imagery isn't that high res. The google maps, though, are much easier to read....I really like it better than any other I've seen.

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Google maps are absolutely gorgeous, clean and easy to use. Google seems to have done it again.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
miloblithe said:
Bah. It's out of date.

That vacant lot two blocks north of me has a building in it now.
You think that's out-of-date, try looking at terraserver.microsoft.com and you'll find that the lot view you are looking at will be dated somewhere around 04/30/1997

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
daveway00 said:
I like hows it's easy to use, however I have some requests. UPDATE them! The picture are quite dated IMHO. More high res sections.

Thats it. :eek:
Updates and resolution depend on location. The one of my house, for example, looks to be about 9 months old, based on what I think is the correct timing of some construction near us.

Others look to be a year or so, maybe more.

There's a free 7-day trial of a product called Keyhole that Google seems to be affiliated with, but it's Windows only, so I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Keyhole personal is $30 a year, so I'd be interested in the resolution.

But when you think about it, the kind of resolution we're getting, free, over the internet, makes you think about what can really be seen, doesn't it?

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Doctor Q said:
I can't believe it! Do you see what emw is doing in his backyard? Don't the neighbors complain?

;)
Hey, now. That was a while ago! I'm a reformed man now (especially since I know people are watching)! :D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
What I find interesting is how the various pictures are taken from very different angles. For example, Washington, DC was taken from something slightly north of it, and Silver Spring, MD (a suburb of DC to the north), was taken from much farther north. It's all a little odd looking at first with the mixed up angles.

edit: thinking more... or is that different parts of one big picture look like they are from different angles, each big section being shot from directly above its middle?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
emw said:
Doctor Q said:
I can't believe it! Do you see what emw is doing in his backyard? Don't the neighbors complain?
Hey, now. That was a while ago! I'm a reformed man now (especially since I know people are watching)! :D
Hey, if you can see it from space I wouldn't be complaining about it, but doesn't it cause problems with the next door neighbors.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Pretty cool. Still, I can't believe that some people are stupidly worried that this is some sort of invasion of their privacy... they were reporting on this on MSNBC the other night. For crying out loud, you can't see CARS, much less people, and the images are OLD. (Google shows an empty lot across the street from where I live... what's actually there is Johnson & Wales University's Charlotte campus building, which is quite large.)

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
emw said:
There's a free 7-day trial of a product called Keyhole that Google seems to be affiliated with, but it's Windows only, so I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Keyhole personal is $30 a year, so I'd be interested in the resolution.
Google bought Keyhole so they will have satellite images.

CNN uses the premium version (they used it a lot during the Gulf War)..they could fly down streets, etc

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Phat_Pat said:
Look up Disney land. That seems pretty new.
Yea, Disney's California Adventure is there and that was opened in Feb. 2001. So I guess most of the pics were taken around that time....?

Phat_Pat said:
Man this thing is fun :)
Yes 2 hours goes by fast :eek: :rolleyes:

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
clayjohanson said:
Pretty cool. Still, I can't believe that some people are stupidly worried that this is some sort of invasion of their privacy... they were reporting on this on MSNBC the other night. For crying out loud, you can't see CARS

^Cars^

and the images are OLD. (Google shows an empty lot across the street from where I live... what's actually there is Johnson & Wales University's Charlotte campus building, which is quite large.
I guess it depends on where you live. The images for my city are very recent.

I'm also not worried about privacy issues. In fact, here's my house:

:p :p

I think this is amazing stuff. Not only is it the best quality I've ever seen for free, but it also has very smooth navigation/scrolling. All other places I've seen load one piece of picture at a time.

[edit]

Area 51. They don't let you zoom in all the way. ;) I can see myself wasting a ton of time on this satellite service.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I read somewhere that one of the reasons that those photos are about 6 to 12 months old are due to privacy issues.

Anyway, I like that way where they can plot the route along those roads from one point to another. looks pretty cool.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It is out of date for my area.. below you can see "South Square Mall", which was demolished (at least 2 years ago) and replaced by a Super Target and Sam's Club (which opened a year ago).

Still really cool.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
yellow said:
It is out of date for my area.. below you can see "South Square Mall", which was demolished (at least 2 years ago) and replaced by a Super Target and Sam's Club (which opened a year ago).

I can't tell how old it is in my area, but they still don't have detailed satellite images for the entire city.

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes Googlemaps put the address on the opposite side of the street? I've seen it happen on a handful of addresses I was looking up for satellite viewing.