Google Maps on iPhone now showing ads.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dcorban, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Usually, I type in the address I want to find and Maps shows me a zoomed in view of the address. This is sufficient for me to figure out how to get there. It's quick and easy.

Today, I perform an address search as usual, and I am instead presented with this:

[​IMG]

This is totally unacceptable. Instead of the usual result, I get a completely useless zoomed out view, and a "sponsored link" for something totally unrelated to my search.

I don't mind ads if they are unobtrusive or relevant. This is neither. Apple Maps can't come soon enough.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The sponsored links are unobtrusive. Just don't click the icon on the map. Personally, I don't care if a minuscule icon is on a free service.

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The way you worded your title I was picturing a ten or fifteen second video ad showing up every time you got directions or searched for something. A misleading title is misleading.

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Sponsored links have been in the maps app on iOS for quite some time now.

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Look at it this way. Apple is replacing Google Maps with their own app. Now you'll get iAds. Better now?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Is this confirmed? FWIW Apple is responsible for google maps app on the iPhone too. If they wanted iads, we would have seen them.

7. dcorban thread starter macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I explained in my OP why this is obtrusive. By default when performing an address search, it instantly provides a zoomed in view. When this ad came up, it didn't do that. It stayed zoomed out to show me the ad.

This is the first time I have seen this and I have been using my phone and maps for two years.

8. AFDoc, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

So you're complaining about seeing an ad on something you DON'T pay for? You are able to go into the app and get directions, sat views, traffic ect ect for FREE yet you complain? Wow.... just wow.

9. cynics macrumors G3

I was saying to myself, "I've never seen these ads!". So I opened the maps app and realized it was a miserable app and I never use it. Hopefully we won't see iAds with iOS 6.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

this is not new, however it does seem to be very infrequent on my end. I will go a month without seeing a sponsored link and then all the sudden one will pop up next time I search for a place. No big deal, we're using a free google service on an Apple device.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

FWIW I agree with you and your title / post were clear. I've used an iPhone since day one and I've never seen a Sponsored Link. Unfortunantly it's how they make their money. I'm anxious to cut Google Maps loose and they can randomly cold sell products I have no interest in to someone else.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is old... although, I find many of those sponsored links much more useful than the desktop counter parts.

13. PerfectDB macrumors regular

Is this a US only thing? I've never seen any ads when using Google Maps.

14. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Me neither. Plus they don't seem too interfering. Just don't use Google Maps if you don't like them.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Interesting. I used Gmaps a couple of days ago and didn't notice any ads.

16. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

It's not free. It's $200 with a 2 year contract.

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I've never seen an add and I wouldn't want to.

It's doubtful that iAds will play any part in Maps iOS 6 version and on.

18. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

The Maps app on the iPhone has had these for years in the UK. Perhaps they're just new in Canada? Canada is always the last to get new stuff :)

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

this

and if you live in a larger more popular city these little things are all over the map...been seeing these for at least two years in Houston

20. smiles813 macrumors newbie

Sponsored Links

I looked up a popular hotel chain when I was traveling and I inadvertently clicked on a sponsored link. I created a reservation with what I thought was the hotel site and later learned that it was a SCAM site. Still trying to get my money back from this "sponsored link". :mad:
    Cannot wait to replace google maps for this reason. There is a setting to disable iAds. From what I can see, there is no way to disable "sponsored links"!

21. MRxRoman macrumors newbie

I myself have not seen this at all or even knew about it up until now, but let me tell you, if this happened to me I would be outraged. Why would they implement ads into this? Dumb.

22. Radio macrumors 68000

u get a FREE service

stop complaining!

what u can't wait for a subpar Apple Maps program on the new iphone?!?! :eek::eek:

jeeeesus christ!

oh but youre okay with iAds i bet :rolleyes:

23. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

no we wont.

apple doesnt put cheap ads into their apps because they are not a cheap online company that relies on ads to exist.

24. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I don't think it's THAT obtrusive. I do understand the maps service they are providing is "free" or at least no upfront premium from me that's paying for the service.

Keep in mind, there are a lot of other apps in the app store where you can pay a monthly fee or an upfront premium where they have no ads. So it is your choice ultimately on which app to use.

If it were a 15 second pre-roll ad after a search in the maps app, then I'd be a pissed. But just a sponsored link, embedded in the map itself, somewhat near the location of where I searched. I could care less. It's not like they are panning the map over across the country to show me a sponsored link from where I searched. I understand the business model. I'm ok with it.