Google Maps renames tennis court because it hates statement said by former player

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by the8thark, Jun 8, 2017.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

http://www.skynews.com.au/tech/technews/2017/06/08/google-changes-name-of-margaret-court-arena.html

That's the article.
    What happened is Margret Court said she will not fly Qantas because of it's marraige equality stance. That's her opinion, fair enough. However Google took it in their own hands to rename the tennis court (currently named after her) to something else.

The name of the tennis court has not officially been changed and most likely it will not be.

This is basically google lying on their maps app to fit their own agenda. Yet another reason why I hate google.

2. Zenithal Suspended

Various articles say their system was tricked into naming it as a correction through user submitted feedback. Much like how Facebook will down one of their user pages when enough comments/complaints are logged.

3. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

One would have thought google would have safeguards to prevent this abuse of the system.

4. Zenithal Suspended

One would also presume Facebook has safeguards, but they do, and it still happens. Safeguards only work if it's the same fingerprint/IP generating the complaints. From what I'm seeing on Twitter, hardly anyone cares about the woman because of her views, and are celebrating the error.

Computer fingerprinting is based on the analysis of browser and OS that's almost unique among computers. In other words, you could use a VPN, but your PC or Mac's fingerprint would give you away.

5. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Not sure why this particular incident would get you to hate Google more. Margaret Court is an idiot and the tennis court deserves better than have her name on it.

6. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

You don't know tennis. She is an amazing ambassador of the sport.
    I don't agree with her views but that doesn't mean her name should be removed from the court. I personally disagree with what she said but I would fight to keep her name on the court.

7. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Margaret Court inspired lots of female tennis players and a legend in the world of tennis. She deserves her own court.

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I wasn't doubting her legacy as a tennis great. She's an idiot though for what she said. She's homophobic and should lose this honour.

You're position on this incident seems have changed though from being mad with Google to being inspired by Margaret Court.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Plenty of land for her to build her own.

9. daflake macrumors 6502a

Here is the deal... @fitshaced comments are the most common that we hear nowadays and to be honest, it is simply BS. She is entitled to her opinion and to her thoughts and just because she shares them should nto make her any less to the sport she is supporting. Sadly, most people go high and right making he a lowlife that should lose all respect with no middle ground.

@the8thark is correct, diagree with her, but stripping her of everything is overkill.

If you don't see the trend of "no middle ground", then look a little harder. Everyone wants absolutes nowadays. It is more of that gap I was talking about in the other thread.

10. Zenithal Suspended

She can say what she wants. It's her right. Of course, she shouldn't expect not to face backlash from people or organizations. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

11. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

She said she's not homophobic. She sees marriage as being between a man and a woman. She won't fly Quantas because the CEO is gay.

How about this? Before she gets on another plane, bus, train, taxi, uber or ferry she asks the driver/pilot/captain etc if they have been divorced? How could she possibly share transport or give money to someone who has disrespected marriage? How could she even use an iPhone when the CEO of Apple is gay?

I think she's an idiot for being an idiot, not because of anything else.

12. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

How about quoting the facts next time.

"I am disappointed that Qantas has become an active promoter for same sex marriage," Ms Court said in a letter to the editor published in The West Australian on Thursday. "I believe in marriage as a union between a man and a woman as stated in the Bible. Your statement leaves me no option but to use other airlines where possible for my extensive travelling."
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...ves-a-boycott-of-its-own-20170525-gwda2w.html

What she said had nothing to do with the sexuality choices of Alan Joyce personally as you incorrectly stated above.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you both have a point. Although we are judging her against current standards and she is alive on the other hand she is old.

14. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Correct. I did misquote her. But she took a public position on Qantas being pro-same sex marriage. People who defend the definition of marriage being between a man and a woman conveniently dismiss legal divorce being contradictive to their views. What she said makes it look like she might catch something if she flies Qantas now. She doesn't support same sex marriage by sitting on a plane.

The argument against same sex marriage deserves all the atracks it gets as it's a stupid and empty opinion that divides the public and reduces equality.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah. But also at some point we leave racist grandma be.

16. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

I agree with the sentiment of what you say. What needs to happen is everyone being tolerant of each other's opinions here. Saying "anti gay marriage" is wrong totally misses the point. We need to get people to learn that you can be pro or anti gay marriage. Both are ok. Neither is wrong. As long as you understand and accept the right of everyone to make their own decision.

If you only want to marry the opposite sex, sure feel free to. But understand that others who want to marry the same sex should be free to do so as well.

This is not about race. Poor attempt at humour there.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

So let me get that right:
    It is 100% o.k. for her to boycott Qantas over an issue that has 0 impact on how the company operates, but if someones disagrees with a tennis court named after her he is infringing her right to free speech ?

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

how is her boycotting and airline any different the the left boycotting Chick-fil-A. The company believes in something contradictory to her views so she is choosing not to support that company. Until she forces her views on people she doing nothing wrong and is not an idiot.

19. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

But then you've missed the point. If it was simply about you being allowed to marry the sex of your choice then there would be no discussion. Margaret Court, by saying what she did is knowingly actively fighting against same sex marriage and equal rights. If she accepted that her opinion, beliefs or morals are not affected by same sex marriage being legal then her airline choice would be far simpler. It's idiotic to believe that she loses something by SSM being legalised.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, I'm sorry, but I feel compelled to point out the difference between what the article said and what the OP wrote.

The article:

My bold.

The OP:

Not to mention the thread title.

This was a jump to a conclusion from the get-go.

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

That is a good point... The younger generation thinks that the older generation should conform to their thought process. I remember my grandmother making what I considered rude comments. Bottom line is that in her day, they weren't considered rude. Once I explained it to her, she thought it was stupid that people were being that sensative.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Which is her right... You don't have to agree with her, but calling her names because you don't agree just means that you are actually the one more narrow minded. People have different beliefs and values. I have read her statements and there was nothing deragatory in them. She simply stated her position...

but

they don't align with your beliefs, so she must be (insert some name here).

22. Eraserhead, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, and if she's maybe over 60-70 or so (EDIT she's 75), probably we should let her be and accept it isn't fair to judge her on current standards. Any more than its unfair to judge her for not liking Selena Gomez or even Nirvana.

The younger generation (maybe meaning <40-50) think that gay marriage is an established right. So for them its a bit like grandma being racist.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Google maps is for most most part generated by user input. So I doubt Google just changed the name on its own.

24. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Meh. It's more evidence of intolerance and bigotry by those who purport themselves to be so tolerant, loving, and enlightened. If you go against any of their positions, you must be shamed, ruined, and destroyed. They'll even eat their own if it serves their purposes and agenda.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/259656209-story

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, but it is up to the powers that named the tennis court after her to change it. Not Google or @fitshaced.