Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple shares dipping below $90 this morning, Google's parent company Alphabet briefly overtook Apple as the world's most valuable company hitting a market cap of $498 billion compared to Apple's market cap of $494 billion. Apple and Google shares continue to fluctuate and the two companies are neck-and-neck for the top valuation, but Google remains in the lead.

Apple's stock has seen steep declines in recent weeks, following its first ever drop in iPhone sales and its first year-over-year revenue decline since 2003. Apple's share price is down again amid rumors of weak demand for the upcoming iPhone 7 and there's no relief in sight as Apple is also expecting a revenue drop in Q3 2016.

Apple_Google_new-800x283.jpg

Apple's guidance for the quarter includes expected revenue of $41 to $43 billion and gross margin between 37.5 and 38 percent, compared to $49.6 billion revenue and gross margin of 39.7 percent in Q3 2015.

Google parent company Alphabet previously overtook Apple as the most valuable company in the world in February of 2016 following a strong Q1 2016 earnings report.

Earlier today, Apple was ranked the world's most valuable brand by Forbes, assigned a brand value of $154.1 billion compared to Google's $82.5 billion.

Article Link: Google Again Surpasses Apple as Most Valuable Company in the World

Dale Dangler

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2016
USA
Not surprising. Apple needs to focus on what brought people to Apple in the first place and quit trying to force An iPad as a Mac replacement or a Watch as an accessory to an iPhone or a car that they have no business making. I love Apple products but the magic has fizzled out as of late

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Ya? Cool. Can you tell me more about Android's innovation?
NFC payments, large screen smartphones, 2k resolution, virtual reality with smartphones, fast wireless charging, USB quick charging, notification pulldown, multitasking, I can go on. I'm not saying Android invented all these features, but no other smartphone company has implemented them yet

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I amazed Google is so valuable. They are just an advertising company - that's the majority of their profits. It's amazing. I know they have tons of other projects, but at their heart just advertising. The Internet has definitely rebalanced the scales.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
An iPad as a Mac replacement or a Watch as an accessory to an iPhone or a car that they have no business making. I love Apple products but the magic has fizzled out as of late

Did Apple have any business making a phone? Does Google have any business making a car? I don't understand these comments. When rumors float around that Apple is working on a car, people say Apple is wasting its time and should focus on making the iPhone/iPad/Mac better first but at the same time, people say Apple is a "one trick pony." You have to make up your mind.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I amazed Google is so valuable. They are just an advertising company - that's the majority of their profits. It's amazing. I know they have tons of other projects, but at their heart just advertising. The Internet has definitely rebalanced the scales.

Not just an advertising company but one of only two advertising companies that makes serious money off the internet (the other is Facebook, which is also just an advertising company as that is where it gets at least 90% of its revenue). Google might find another way to make money, but as the internet grows and ad dollars go there, Google keeps making more money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.