Google Play editions of Xperia Z Ultra and LG Pad 8

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by viskon, Dec 10, 2013.

1. viskon macrumors 6502

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I wish stock Android wasn't as niche as it is becoming. Also, that the Google Experience Launcher was included with 4.4. Sigh. It's a tricky situation for Google, but the Nexus line gives me hope.

3. mclld macrumors 68000

What do you mean?

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

That Xperia Z Ultra looks pretty sweet. But 6.4"?? That's pretty big. I'm not sure I want a phone that is much bigger than my N5.

5. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I would argue it is becoming less niche with the gpe devices because previously nexus was the only way to get factory stock. Moto is basically stock too. I may be missing your point.

Fwiw I don't understand why google is making us side load gel, it works just fine. The launcher is actually built into the search app that everyone has, the side load app just activates the code in the search app I believe. Almost all of the file size of gel is the wallpapers.

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

It's all about price. For most people who don't buy top-shelf at the full cost, this is way out of reach. Getting these kinds of devices on carriers with a reasonable starting price just seems impossible, because of carrier control and OEM reluctance. The best way to get stock Android for most people who want it is still the Nexus line. I'm afraid that GPE editions sway OEMs from using stock by default instead of their own skin. Google should take more action in my opinion.

8. OhHaiThere macrumors regular

OhHaiThere

OOHhhhh... so glad I didn't get the Nexus 7... that G Pad is calling my name. Gotta research it :D

9. gotluck, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Fair point indeed. Hopefully telcos will start offering unsubsidized rates so people other than those on prepaid can justify buying gpe devices. Or hopefully people start realizing prepaid is worth it for many without family/legacy/employer fan discount plans. Verizon aside of course, you can't win there thanks CDMA.

I hope other oems are watching the positive response moto is getting.