Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I wish stock Android wasn't as niche as it is becoming. Also, that the Google Experience Launcher was included with 4.4. Sigh. It's a tricky situation for Google, but the Nexus line gives me hope.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
That Xperia Z Ultra looks pretty sweet. But 6.4"?? That's pretty big. I'm not sure I want a phone that is much bigger than my N5.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I wish stock Android wasn't as niche as it is becoming. Also, that the Google Experience Launcher was included with 4.4. Sigh. It's a tricky situation for Google, but the Nexus line gives me hope.

I would argue it is becoming less niche with the gpe devices because previously nexus was the only way to get factory stock. Moto is basically stock too. I may be missing your point.

Fwiw I don't understand why google is making us side load gel, it works just fine. The launcher is actually built into the search app that everyone has, the side load app just activates the code in the search app I believe. Almost all of the file size of gel is the wallpapers.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I would argue it is becoming less niche with the gpe devices because previously nexus was the only way to get factory stock. Moto is basically stock too. I may be missing your point.

Fwiw I don't understand why google is making us side load gel, it works just fine. The launcher is actually built into the search app that everyone has, the side load app just activates the code in the search app I believe. Almost all of the file size of gel is the wallpapers.

It's all about price. For most people who don't buy top-shelf at the full cost, this is way out of reach. Getting these kinds of devices on carriers with a reasonable starting price just seems impossible, because of carrier control and OEM reluctance. The best way to get stock Android for most people who want it is still the Nexus line. I'm afraid that GPE editions sway OEMs from using stock by default instead of their own skin. Google should take more action in my opinion.

OhHaiThere

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
USA
OOHhhhh... so glad I didn't get the Nexus 7... that G Pad is calling my name. Gotta research it :D

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It's all about price. For most people who don't buy top-shelf at the full cost, this is way out of reach. Getting these kinds of devices on carriers with a reasonable starting price just seems impossible, because of carrier control and OEM reluctance. The best way to get stock Android for most people who want it is still the Nexus line. I'm afraid that GPE editions sway OEMs from using stock by default instead of their own skin. Google should take more action in my opinion.

Fair point indeed. Hopefully telcos will start offering unsubsidized rates so people other than those on prepaid can justify buying gpe devices. Or hopefully people start realizing prepaid is worth it for many without family/legacy/employer fan discount plans. Verizon aside of course, you can't win there thanks CDMA.

I hope other oems are watching the positive response moto is getting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.