Google services on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by etaleb, Aug 29, 2014.

1. etaleb macrumors member

Guys

Android user here hoping to switch to iPhone 6. Two services I use heavily are google voice & maps (in fact those with email are the only things I use the phone for). I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has used both phones recently

1) How is the google voice app and can you use native dialer to use outbound calls or have to copy/paste into the google voice dialer? If so, can you use google voice dialer all the time and choose if a call goes through with the cell number or with the gv number?

2) how is google maps navigation and is it comparable to android? The android app now can alert you during navigation about having found a more optimal route due to traffic conditions and take my permission to make the change

Thx

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't use Google Voice, so I can't speak for it. There is an app in the App Store for it.

As for Google Maps, it's alright. Certainly better than Apple Maps still. I'm not sure the iOS app can suggest better routes yet. I haven't seen mine do that, but I keep it on my lap rather than mounting my phone, so I rely on audio only and occasionally glance down. It does make lane suggestions which I find helpful. If you miss a turn it'll take a second to recalculate for you.

Unfortunately ever since Apple and Google have gotten into this spat they've had, Google has limited what their iOS apps and services can do. For instance you can't get gmail emails pushed anymore.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Google apps for iPhone are often very good. E.g. The Hangouts app on iPhone far excels that of Android.

You can get push via GMail or Mailbox, and other apps. Google just didn't want to pay ActiveSync licensing to MS for everyone under the sun. When Apple decides to finally supports IMAP idle, you'll regain native gmail push.

Maps, Search, YouTube, Capture, Chrome, Admin, G+ are all very good.

Just Voice is stagnant. It has aged and been neglected. But still works. There is a dialer command that google voice walks you through, which I *think* makes the main dialer go through GoogleVoice.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm sure they're not bad apps. I just don't use them outside of Google Maps. I was trying to get the point across to OP that the integration with native Apple apps isn't as good as Google services on android. If he makes the switch, some adjustments will need to be made.

5. cebseb macrumors regular

I currently use a Sony Xperia Z Ultra google play edition and an iPhone 5s for work. For the two services you mentioned, they're quite comparable between the two devices. The apps have matured enough to the point that one version is longer a clear winner over the other.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

One thing you won't get is integration with native dialer or anything like that. Each app is separate and you basically just get to use what's within the app or what the native services/apps on the phone offer.

7. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

The Google Voice app for iOS is horrendous. It only has 2 stars in the App Store. I won't use it. Google Hangouts is better.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

You pretty much need to use them both to get most of the Google Voice (service) functionality.

9. etaleb thread starter macrumors member

on android, I previously dialed a contact through native dialer and got prompted if i want call to go through GV. Now, i don't even do that. I simply have voice choice 2.0 installed and it knows which route i want to place the calls with that is pre-configured for each contact. Works great

10. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

True. Unfortunately Google refuses to incorporate any text messaging into the Hangouts app.

11. josephd, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

josephd macrumors member

Google services on iPhone

I don't want to get off topic, nor do I want to start another thread.
    Google services for the most part are ok on IOS.
    For obvious reasons, they work better on Android.
    Some of the apps are half baked on IOS, like Google Now, and Google Drive.
    If I go to the Google app, you can set an alarm through voice.
    Push notifications do not work, with exception to the Gmail app.
    Anything else, good luck. IMHO, stick with Siri, you'll have better results.
    I have learned to adjust to what I use, when I came from Android.
    It's all a matter of, what is and isn't a deal breaker for you. Good luck