Google SVP Suggests Carriers Are Stalling RCS Rollout In The U.S.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Tig Bitties, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Tig Bitties macrumors 68040

Tig Bitties

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johanm...stalling-rcs-rollout-in-the-u-s/#1c6fa42317e1

This is weird, so Android will never get a good alternative to iMessage?

"Other carriers, like Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T, have been slow in rolling out RCS support. T-Mobile and Verizon both support the universal RCS profile on select devices, while AT&T has no devices that are compatible with the standard at all."

So ATT needs a specially made phone to be compatible with RCS ? LOL WTF kind of response is that ATT? BS

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Hmmm, the carriers standing in the way of a ubiquitous Android solution....shocking. :eek::rolleyes:

Hate to say I told you so but....I predicted EXACTLY that this would happen when RCS first was put forth by Google.

After years and years of similar behavior by US carriers, not sure why anyone would be surprised by this.

3. Awesomesince86 macrumors 6502

Pretty sure everyone predicted this. Carriers have a long history of false promises and missed timelines.

4. drinkingtea macrumors 6502

drinkingtea

Everyone but Google.

5. Coffee_Time macrumors regular

Just picked up LG v50 and rcs was activated by first starting the app. We use whatsapp here in Europe. Pointless for me. I'm on Orange carrier. Screenshot_20190731-224511.png

6. Coffee_Time macrumors regular

This may be possible. 2 weeks ago I had the LG g7 and didn't worked, now I have the V50 and works. Either hardware or Google just enabled it.