Google to introduce web tools that tell you what your ISP is doing to your connection

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jun 13, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

cool stuff!

you have to love google when they do stuff like this!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sounds good. i won't complain about it so long as it actually works without too much interruption.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

This can only be a good thing. :)

Hopefully it'll give the UK ISPs a good kick up the backside as well…
    The more users know the better to fight entrenched and out-dated ways of thinking and business models…

Yes, BT, you… ;)

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

do you think something like this will be USA only, or does it have potential to work in other contries?

6. SMDrew macrumors member

Excellent work by Google. Their slogan "do no evil" is being foisted upon the ISPs, whether they want it or not :) I was seriously thinking why Apple hasn't jumped on this, as the ISPs (who are now in bed with Cable Networks; i.e. Comcast) are directly competing with them for content. Thus, all an ISP would have to do is throttle bandwidth to services like iTunes, Rhapsody, YouTube, etc., and all of a sudden the extra $20/month for the ISPs own "Media Package" starts to look good to the consumer.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Google may sell our (thankfully anonymous) marketing data to anyone with a few bucks to spare, but they actually are our friend. Thanks for yet another great gift from Google!

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they are our 'friend' right now. but remember this is in their best interests, which is why they're fighting for net neutrality (which i believe in, and agree with too btw). but it google didn't have a stake in making sure that the 'net was open you bet they wouldn't go out of their way.

9. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

It is because of news like this that my admiration for google continues to increase.