Google to sentence YouTube violators to 'copyright school'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MattSepeta, Apr 14, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Thoughts?

I fully support this, and even support harsher "punishments". Back when I was really into video editing, nothing made me angrier than the youtube users who get tens of millions of views simply by uploading a pop song with some weird static image.

That being said, I also really like the way Youtube has started handling the music infringement, by simply adding a link to purchase the music. Win-win for everyone., I have actually purchased a few songs as a result of this.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I totally support this.

People seem to have forgotten the meaning of "intellectual property".

Computers have made thievery too easy.

So easy that some people no longer recognize it as thievery.

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

I like it.

Plus, it gives them the ability to be much stricter in dealing with repeat offenders - the "we gave you a course in this, you obviously failed, you're done here."

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I like it, I hope they can apply it to people who steal other peoples uploads and then repost them w/o permission.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah i really like those sites that convert music from youtube into mp3 format. They shut down limewire but not those sites? Go figure!

6. iJohnHenry, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Google to sentence YouTube violators to 'copyright school'

Will toothpicks and Beethoven be involved? :eek:

7. codymac macrumors 6502

I find this hilarious considering they've been fighting copyright infringement lawsuits for six years due to Google Books.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

And so if a content provider falsely or mistakenly makes take down requests are they sent to school as well? :rolleyes:

9. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Because it's NOT thievery.:rolleyes:

10. wpotere Guest

Care to elaborate on this?

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What's your point?

It's not like these people are 'stealing' views from you, they came to listen to music and that's what they're doing. It sounds like you're just obsessing over numbers.

I used to subscribe to a few users who were uploading videos of DLC charts from Rock Band, I actually got in to a lot of bands seeing their music being advertised in this way and as a result have bought CDs are DLC. These people were not partners, they weren't making any money of it. Now most have had their (multiple) accounts banned. Is losing a potential revenue stream which was never a financial threat to begin productive?

It seems to me that copyright owners are losing sight of anything which isn't cash in their hands, they seem to be threatened by anything which doesn't produce an instant turnover.

My point to all this is that while intellectual property rights are important, I think content owners should consider when enforcing them is actually the logical thing to do.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

How limewire actually got shut down is still a complete mystery to me. It's an application that allows users to utilise the gnutella P2P network, it's not a 'service' itself. If limewire got shut down, why not uTorrent/Transmission/Deluge, unless I'm missing something they're doing the exact same thing that limewire were, but on a different protocol.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why doesn't Google just send a payment for every time a video is viewed? The artists would make a ton of money and the videos would get to stay. Pulling them down and giving people a reprimand is not the right way to go.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

MacNut -->[​IMG] <--Google/Arn.

They both collect, advertizing revenue. They don't 'pay'.

Not in the business model, sorry. ;)

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much advertising are they losing getting when a popular video gets pulled. Lets say a possible 500,000 views that the record labels want taken down. It is in Google's best interest to keep these videos up.

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well, not quite. Gnutella was actually it's own network. Torrents don't have one specific network, every torrent site is kind of its own network. So they can never never fully shut them down, and torrent clients don't actually help you seek out torrents on the networks (would be cool if they did though). So i guess that's the difference. Either way, call it stealing or not, that's how i obtain my media.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You are not stealing on You Tube, everything is streamed. They are going to go after page views because no physical media is being downloaded.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Right, but what if i use a youtube to mp3 site to convert it into an mp3 and store it in my itunes library?

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How good is You Tube quality. Not sure I want that in my library.

20. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Actually, if you use the official music videos (if available) and choose the high quality option on the converter sites, the quality is perfect.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yeah, but the pr0n is terribly low quality. :mad:

Why is that, and can you fix?? :D

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well the official videos come from the studios themselves so why are they complaining?

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I guess they don't anticipate most people converting from youtube to mp3. But as far as im concerned it's the same as recording off the radio.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You have to go back to "Do you have I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow?, by the Soggy Bottom Boys?", time.

Even magnetic tape recording was unknown in those times.

Songs on the radio were encouragement for fans to buy the wax version.

25. AdrianK, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

When I said 'it's not a 'service' itself' I meant limewire, not Gnutella, sorry for the confusion there.

I didn't consider that the integrated search functionality of 'straight-up' P2P (vs torrents) would harm them from a legal point of view, but considering that torrent sites are under threat that makes sense. I suppose it only made sense to go after limewire since it's the biggest Gnutella client, chasing the others probably wasn't cost-effective.

Unless those sites are demuxing the video, which I *highly* doubt, you're getting music at 128kbps that's been re-encoded at least once. That's a helluva long way from perfection.