Google tracking

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cube, Oct 22, 2016.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah stop using Google products if you care about privacy and you don't like consumerism.

2. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

Sad truth is no matter what Google do, I can't see people leaving/protesting the service enough to force a change.

3. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Which is crazy really, because aside from Google search, Idk what you really need any of their services for. Plenty of great alternatives.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So much content is on YouTube, (and only on YouTube) that I would have to disagree with that statement. YouTube has become one of the internet's "go to" places when looking for entertainment or information on something. It is where a great many how-to videos end up.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah but you can not log in to YouTube, and you can erase your browser cookies.

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

But it's very sneaky to ask you the whole time to set your preferences and default them to tracking if you use private browsing.

7. LizKat, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah, like this one

EDIT: and here's another one. In other words search engine providers are not the only stars of cautionary tales related to tracking.

Personally for searching I usually use Duck Duck Go. But we're basically shoveling sand against the tide when we take a look at how many tracking scripts are deployed on most mainstream websites. Whack-a-mole territory.

8. Tech198, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

It's not that sneaky, it's their business.

- Always use Incognito (Private Browsing) mode
    - Automatically clear cookies/clear cache/history after and before any personal info in entered in websites.

That's how i do it

9. cube thread starter macrumors G5

An unethical business.