Google/Verizon about to introduce "tiers" for customers?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, Aug 5, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Looks like without further action from Congress on net neutrality, selective speed is loading faster than a "tier one" website.

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Why the hell is google going along with this, net neutrality is what made them...

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Apparently reading comprehension is not a skill put to effect here.

They are working on their cell system.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

"The end of the internet as we know it"

What a joke.

Businesses charge for their services or products. Thats how it works. If a business wants to partner with another business and offer them better services, who the hell are we to concern ourselves?

I have never provided anybody with internet service, so it would be pretty darn disingenuous for me to bitch about it...

5. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

This story is NOT true.

See the Engadget updates:

"Update: Phew... we think. Google's Public Policy Twitter account just belted out a denial of these claims, straight-up saying that the New York Times "is wrong." Here's the full tweet, which certainly makes us feel a bit more at ease. For now. "@NYTimes is wrong. We've not had any convos with VZN about paying for carriage of our traffic. We remain committed to an open internet."

Update 2: Verizon's now also issued a statement and, like Google, it's denying the claims in the original New York Times report. It's as follows:

"The New York Times article regarding conversations between Google and Verizon is mistaken. It fundamentally misunderstands our purpose. As we said in our earlier FCC filing, our goal is an Internet policy framework that ensures openness and accountability, and incorporates specific FCC authority, while maintaining investment and innovation. To suggest this is a business arrangement between our companies is entirely incorrect."
    "

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, not having net neutrality makes it far easier for the shenanigans being pulled in China and NK to happen.

7. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Is it just me or has the NYT journalism quality tanked in the past few years?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Fixed that for you.:(

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I've noticed that, there's been a few headline grabbing stories that are just that, no real truth in the content, just there to stir things up, it's a bit of a joke really.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is tis how you see the free market working :confused:?

11. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

The thing is that even if it's not true at this point who's to say eventually it won't be? Look at the media companies most of them own at least one of the major cable news channels a broadcast channels and most of the popular cable channels and newspapers.

So it makes sense that companies would want to control the flow of information going into the last mile of "Pipeline" being the internet.

12. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

I wish the stupid government would give the FCC the power to enforce net neutrality soon :(

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

So are we on the get everyone hooked on heroin then switch it for methadone theory yet? After all we have about 10 solid years of public addiction to the internet.

I support the whole net neutrality idea don't get me wrong, but providers should be allowed to regulate the upload and download speeds since that is more an issue of service and maintenance than it is an issue of what you can and cannot access.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Regulation in this country is a joke man.

15. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Yep. Look at the mess the airline industry has become due to regulation and then de-regulation.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Look at healthcare, the FDA, meat packing plants, etc, etc. We've been on a deregulation spree for over a decade and the country is falling to **** for the bottom 98% because of it.

17. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

You know what they say though..When you hit bottom the only way is up. ;)

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Yaay :)

I knew my faith in google wasn't mis-placed :D

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Not unless someone lowers a jack hammer on a rope