Google Voice and iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Apr 15, 2012.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I found out the hard way that you can't make phone calls using the GV app on iphone... I received a $300+ phone bill after calling a friend in jamaica. Good thing at+t took the fee from my account. I found out that calls can be made using GV on iphone via talkatone app. Is there a reason why GV app can't do this by itself? Is it google or apple at fault here?

2. nodrogkam macrumors newbie

I have no problems making calls using the google voice app.

I open up the GV app, select "Dailer", enter the # or use the address book, then select "call".
    I admit I do not call out of the USA with my phone, but what Google Voice does is call a number within the states, and then that will route your call to the right person. The routing will also allow the other party to see your GV # (if you have it programmed that way).

The only reason AT&T would have charged you is if the GV routing # was one outside of your included calling area. Perhaps calling Jamaica, GV requires the call to be routed to a call center outside the USA.
    That being said, you can always just open up your native iPhone "Phone" app to see the most recently dialed #; or check your phone bill to see what # GV is actually dialing when you made those calls to Jamaica.

Hope this helps.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Google voice is not a VOIP client regardless of how or where you use it. I think this is the number one thing that people get confused.

4. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

5. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes that is how it is on iphone. But on my laptop, I don't need another app to make fone calls using google. Does android need another app to make fone calls too? GV + talkatone = overhead on my iphone 3g... ugg :eek:

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Google Voice is an excellent service. I have it integrated into my voice communications, with multiple numbers, and have enjoyed exemplary performance, convenience, and time savings.

As with anything else new, one is wise to invest a bit of time learning the technology. In doing so, there's no surprises.

Used judicially with modest precautions, it's been quite a positive influence on my workflow.

7. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Google Voice does not integrate as well with the iPhone as it does with Android.

If you want to make a call with Google Voice on the iPhone, you have to open the app and select Dialer or Quick Dial.

With Android, you can set it to automatically dial with Google Voice instead of with your carrier whenever the phone recognizes an international phone number.

8. takeshi74, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

As stated above you can. However, you need to use the dialer in the GV app unless you're JB'ed and using Phone GV Extension. However, GV does use voice minutes as it isn't a VOIP solution.

Both. Google can't force Apple to open up the OS any more than any other developer can. Can't tell you why GV isn't a VOIP solution on any mobile OS. Your fault as well for assuming that it was VOIP.

That's how it is on any mobile OS. Even on Android GV isn't a VOIP solution.

Apples and oranges. Calling via gmail isn't the same as GV even though they are linked. Again, GV works the same on all mobile OS's and the "GV isn't a VOIP solution" thing has been constantly pointed out since its inception years ago. You might want to spend a little more effort with your due diligence in the future rather than just making assumptions.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, as you've seen you can in fact make calls. For some reason you've assumed that it doesn't use your carriers voice network to make those calls. However, you were mistaken...it does in fact use your carriers voice network and you will be charged accordingly.

What you are looking for is a mobile VOIP solution to make calls using your data plan instead, which Google Voice is not. What you are looking for is something like Skype or as others have mentioned, Talkatone. But be careful you don't use up your allotted data plan.

10. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I bought a used iPhone on eBay and have no plan with AT&T. I use GV and Talkatone using wifi exclusively and I'm pretty happy with it. In my car I tether to my Verizon iPad and it's not a bad set up. Not ideal for everyone but it works well for me.