Google Voice App like Voice+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thewire, Oct 10, 2012.

1. thewire macrumors newbie

Hi there

I am planning to port my cell phone to Google voice (GV) and will be signing up for Straight Talk (ST) service. Is there an app/way I could have the outgoing call from Iphone with the regular phone showing my GV number, instead using the Google voice app? Something like Voice +

2. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

I use Talkatone app. it allows incoming+outgoing GV calls over data.

3. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

4. Legacy Wealth macrumors member

Please explain in full

hey guys..forgive my ignorance on this...I want to do straight talk as well but am worried about them cancelling my number in case of over usage...I read somewhere about porting your number to google voice ? and then using a regular ST number or something ? can someone please explain the advantage of this ? if I text someone..will it show google Voice # or ST # ? and how does this all work ? details please..thanks

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Vonage gives you 3000 minutes of free outgoing calls over VOIP. You can display your gv phone number or cell number as your caller id. Just don't agree to share you address book with them.

Vonage has better quality than talkatone but can receive calls, so you can run vonage and talkatone at the same time for outgoing and incoming coverage.

6. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

I'm able to get incoming calls via Talkatone

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

A typo on my part. I mean Vonage can't receive calls but Talkatone can. However the quality of talkatone is not good, so it's better to run both at the same time.

8. iHelios macrumors member

There's a nice Google Voice Extension on Cydia that allows you to use the native phone and messaging apps with your google voice number.

One of the first apps I'll download when an untethered jailbreak is released for iOS 6.

9. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I was going to port my number to Google voice but I think I will just pay $45 and get a new number just to test it out for a month before I cancel my regular service. If I like it I will get a new straight talk sim and go ahead and port my number over. I will be paying an $45 in addition to my month to month carrier but I don't want to cancel my service and then find out I don't like ST.

Talkatone is not as clear as using your regular iPhone app. Your have to put up with the ad calls if you use the free version. If you use he paid version no ads.

10. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

also, higher quality audio

11. Legacy Wealth macrumors member

12. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Talkatone, last time I used it, had delays and echoes and generally deal-breaker call quality...even for free.

There's a certain point where the quality needs to be at in order to be useful.

If I buy the "real" version will I eliminate the echoes, delays, and the poor sound quality?
    My data connection was plenty fast.
    Has talkatone improved their voice quality yet?

I have tried Skype and that is actually better than my regular cell phone. Ditto with Vonage. But of course, Talkatone is completely free so that's why I'm asking.