Google Voice Integration into Hangouts for calls/texts, is the Traditional Phone plan dead?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spectrum Abuser, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Spectrum Abuser, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

For those of you that weren't aware, Google Voice is one of many perks for creating a Gmail account through Google. You can receive a free US phone number and make/receive calls and texts from it over VOIP. Alternatively you can use it for call forwarding to your traditional cellphone number.

Now that Google Voice is implemented into the Hangouts app is there any value towards a traditional phone plan? About the only thing worth paying for would be a mobile data plan for VOIP access on the go, but if you can make due with public WiFi when away from home or work then you wouldn't even need that.

Thoughts?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Works or can work for some, but not as practical or convenient for many others.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I get unlimited calls but not unlimited data with my phone plan so for me it wouldn't make sense to use Google voice (even if it was available in the UK, which it isn't)

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

5. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Short answer is "no" (for reasons expressed above, among others)... but also, what is this public Wifi that folks sometimes speak of? I don't think I've ever really seen accessible public Wifi networks, outside of maybe a coffee shop (where I don't spend much time).

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

And even if you do, not sure many would really want to use them given their typically unsecured nature.

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

In the U.S. the only real plan that fits with this is the 5gb + 100 min plan via T-mobile for $30 per month... and those people have already been using the VOIP call option for a loooooong time.

Every other smartphone plan out there already has voice + texting built into the price, or is overpriced.

As for not even having plan and simply relying on public WiFi for VOIP calls? I can't see many doing this. There's just too much random crap that could come up where you need to make/receive a call and you're not around WiFi. Here are just a few examples off the top of my head (there are many more I could come up with):
    • Your car breaks down on the freeway and you need to call a tow truck and let your work know you'll be late
    • A loved one has a heart attack and in critical condition at the hospital but you don't get the message for 1-2 hours until you are back home from your exercise run at the park
    • An emergency happens at your place of employment and they call you to come in immediately but you are at the beach and don't get the message until it's too late

While the WiFi only option might work for an extremely tiny amount of people who don't care about emergencies that might come up... the T-mobile $30/mo plan using VOIP to make / receive calls is a much more realistic option for people who live in a great T-mobile coverage area.

8. radiologyman macrumors 6502

I have 2 iPhones with UDP on ATT. Can I use google voice or other program to make free calls to regular phones that do not count toward my rather limited monthly minute allowance?

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yes, you can download the Google Hangouts app and set it up in the apps settings to make unlimited calls & sms from your Google Voice #. The Hangouts app makes calls over data (VOIP) which doesn't count towards your cellular minutes.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had Talkatone on my iPhone 3GS a few years back. Used the 3GS as my backup phone and an introduction to iOS before my first iPhone purchase.

GV allowed me voice calls and texting as long as I had WiFi, which was everywhere I went (but not everywhere in between). That said, I never used Hangouts. If that means I can make a call from a computer then that's a non-starter as I use my phone for calls.

In any case, using GV is a reasonable (and inexpensive) alternative to a normal phone plan. But I would not advise it for those that are not near regular WiFi.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might be surprised where you find it. I'm in the habit of checking for a WiFi network if I am waiting anywhere. Lots of restaurants have public WiFi and sometimes you can find an open network from another place near you.

My kids are in school so there is often the school WiFi. It's the same throughout the district and if you've connected at one school you can connect at another. It's left on on weekends as well. All you have to do is connect to it and check the box on their agreement page.

Culvers has WiFi. McDonalds, my local laundromat, the various medical offices of the state run health system, etc.

Now I'm not saying it's all safe to connect to and I get your point in your post. All I'm saying is that there is more out there then you might be aware of.

When you're looking to use your phone because Sprint has made data unuseable you tend to find whatever WiFi is around you. :D

12. nox5 macrumors 6502

VOIP is not as reliable as regular cell phone call.