Google Web Browser


t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
976
0
homerjward said:
well aol pretty much did that and i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole
You forgot one thing...

AOL is FREAKIN..... AOL!
 

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
976
0
iMeowbot said:
Wow, I'd love to get one of those...Those holes look like the wrapper on an Aero bar...Those in Canada and the UK know what I am talking about.

But seriously..When this browser comes out, do you think there will be a Mac OS X version???
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
jet3004 said:
But seriously..When this browser comes out, do you think there will be a Mac OS X version???
Probably not right away, considering the problems gmail had with Safari.
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,643
0
jet3004 said:
Wow, I'd love to get one of those...Those holes look like the wrapper on an Aero bar...Those in Canada and the UK know what I am talking about.
Nestlé used to sell those here (named Choco-Lite) but then they took them away :( And the Kit-Kats here are made under license by Hershey and taste wrong. Yay for importers. And yummy junk food.
But seriously..When this browser comes out, do you think there will be a Mac OS X version???
We don't even really know that the project is a browser so far. Two of the names named so far are more into Java in the core and server end of things, and even Joe Beda isn't only into GUI development. All of them do seem to have virtual machine environments in common, and I've been wondering what they might do in the OS and VM arena ever since they hired Rob Pike.
 

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
668
0
Here is what I want the Google Browser to be. I want it to use the Konquer engine (like Safari), and release it for Windows. That way, Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X will have a Konquer based browser.

And if you want to know where to get it on Linux: Ever heard of KDE?
 

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
155
0
Palo Alto
I have a GMail account and to be honest, I was a little dissappointed with the UI - things are not where you'd expect them, and generally, I have to search for things. The 1 gig feature is where they got it right though, and that's pretty much what generated the hype, as well as being able to use Google's search.

Safari's a great browser, and it's kind of going through the paces right now - hopefully 2.0 will have a lot of the kinds worked out. Plus - the guy who worked on Longhorn's UI? I'm sure he's a very talented developer, but . . . well, that interface kind of looked like crap. It'll be interesting to see what comes up though.
 

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
1,065
0
Dallas
bentmywookie said:
I have a GMail account and to be honest, I was a little dissappointed with the UI - things are not where you'd expect them, and generally, I have to search for things. The 1 gig feature is where they got it right though, and that's pretty much what generated the hype, as well as being able to use Google's search.
I think the UI for GMail is decent. The searching is nice... Plus they added a few things that make it even better like "star" email... It makes important emails easier to find without searching.

The 1 Gb is what it's all about. It's going to change the way everyone else does business. .Mac... Why? They don't even give you 1Gb with a paid subscription.
 

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
976
0
GMAIL is impressive and is making Google tons of money. I could smack myself for never realizing this...A Google web browser was bound to happen, ESPECIALLY after Gmail. I am going to say that when it does come out, it is going to be very impressive because it is probably going to incorporate everything that is listed here: http://www.google.com/options/index.html, integrated with GMAIL, and of course, their search bar. I say it will be pretty nice...Only if it comes in an OS X version, though. But it would make a nice alternative for PC users.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
bentmywookie said:
I have a GMail account and to be honest, I was a little dissappointed with the UI - things are not where you'd expect them, and generally, I have to search for things. The 1 gig feature is where they got it right though, and that's pretty much what generated the hype, as well as being able to use Google's search.
I actually love the simplicity of the Gmail interface. It's not cluttered with heavy graphics, because of this it is very fast. Auto-fill of address field from contacts, the way e-mails are grouped and displayed as "chats". I love it!
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,345
12,408
jet3004 said:
GMAIL is impressive and is making Google tons of money. I could smack myself for never realizing this...A Google web browser was bound to happen, ESPECIALLY after Gmail. I am going to say that when it does come out, it is going to be very impressive because it is probably going to incorporate everything that is listed here: http://www.google.com/options/index.html, integrated with GMAIL, and of course, their search bar. I say it will be pretty nice...Only if it comes in an OS X version, though. But it would make a nice alternative for PC users.
Gmail is in beta and not in wide use. How is it making Google tons of money? Google makes no money when an ad is displayed. One must click on it for Google to earn.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,378
110
Location Location Location
A browser is just a browser. With so many decent browsers out, I don't see how another browser would be better than FireFox, for example. The only reason to make a Google browser or OS is to make sure you're completely absorbed into the Google world.....Google browser, Gmail, Google browser, plus those Google options/helpful sites. They want your entire web experience to go through them, and I think its smart on their part, but unless their browser can walk both my dogs and do my assignments, I don't see the allure of a browser better than Firefox, unless Firefox development transforms it into utter trash. ;)
 

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
1,654
0
Denver, CO
i dont think anything could replace safari. but to have a windows based google browser would be great. i already install the google bar on everyone's computer that i touch that is not mine (cause mine is a mac of course) so wouldnt it be easier to just use a google browser? especially if gmail ever gets out of beta and people begin using it on a regular basis. integrating gmail into a browser could prove to be a good interface. especially for people who get way to much mail and actually want to keep it and search through it later (yes, i actually know people like that).
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
Abstract said:
A browser is just a browser. With so many decent browsers out, I don't see how another browser would be better than FireFox, for example. The only reason to make a Google browser or OS is to make sure you're completely absorbed into the Google world.....Google browser, Gmail, Google browser, plus those Google options/helpful sites. They want your entire web experience to go through them, and I think its smart on their part, but unless their browser can walk both my dogs and do my assignments, I don't see the allure of a browser better than Firefox, unless Firefox development transforms it into utter trash. ;)
I sort of agree. But competition brings the best out in people, maybe it will make firefox even better.