Google's Homepage change: Now you see it, now you don't

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/now-you-see-it-now-you-dont.html
You may have noticed that our homepage is sporting a new look. Today we're excited to be releasing a new version of our classic homepage. The main feature of the new homepage is that it "fades in" — when the page first loads, it shows only our logo, the search box and the buttons.
Google? Changing it's classic homepage? :confused:

It's not that different, but I don't like it. Maybe if I give it time... Nah. I still won't like it. What do you all think?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Interesting. It felt kinda weird the first time seeing it, but I doubt I will even notice it much in the future as most of my google searches are initiated from the shortcut search feature at the top of the browser window.

Comment

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Just started for me yesterday. The blog post is from yesterday as well. Maybe your part of the uber-secret Google test team!:D

Do you like it?
Yes, I do actually. When I arrive at google.com there are no links up top. Once I move the mouse they appear. Very cool IMO.

Comment

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I usually access gmail from the google homepage at work and I keep looking for my button but it's not there... then it is... then I blink three more times trying to figure out what happened. :) Hopefully I'll get used to it soon.

Comment

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I use the firefox start page, so I haven't even noticed this. Although I do like it.

Comment

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Google has been doing this at home for a couple weeks now. But it's not doing it at work right now. I wonder if the browser or flash player matters?

Comment

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
As long as its still lightning fast, I could care less about the special effects they add. :)

Comment

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It's been like that for quite awhile. Interface effects that do nothing to actually improve usability tend to bother me, just on general principle. I was pretty surprised that Google would implement something like this.

Comment

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Same here; I first noticed it on 15/11.
Indeed you did. I searched but didn't find your thread on the topic.

I use Safari at home and Firefox at work and neither had this new look. I use the Google homepage many, many times a day and it just started for me yesterday. How would they be able to implement this in different places at different times?

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I though the page looked weird today when I went to it but it is so rare for me to even make it to the google homepage as I do most of my google searches out of the toolbar in firefox.

Comment

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Its been like this for weeks in my case, I didn't really care that much because I just type what I need to search in and press enter, thats it. In reality for me I don't need buttons if all I have to do is just press enter. Personally I dont understand why they did it, because it takes all of 1 second for it to fade in, so really nothing has changed.

A few weeks ago there were no buttons and then it would all fade in after about 5 seconds which for some was really not practical but for me because I use google for 1 thing (searching) I liked it, it was really simple and looked really clean.

But really I don't get the point of changing this, what did it achieve?

Comment

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
But really I don't get the point of changing this, what did it achieve?
i think it shows the power and elegance of minimalism. with the tons of google features now it can be easy for it to get cluttered.

Comment

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
As long as I can still use google as a spell checker and google.com loads in a second, I'm happy, I really don't care about if it fades or not. Cool, but IDC.

Comment

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
odd, google.co.uk gives me the fade in things, but old style buttons, and old style search results
google.com gives me the new blue buttons, new style search results, but not the fade in feature...

I'm sure it'll sort itself out in a few days. odd though.

Comment

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Interesting. It felt kinda weird the first time seeing it, but I doubt I will even notice it much in the future as most of my google searches are initiated from the shortcut search feature at the top of the browser window.
I had to go and check it out after I read this post since I hardly ever actually land on the google page either--but it does seem a bit weird.

Comment

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I didn't even notice. I assumed my computer was just slow until I read this post. Huh, go figure...:rolleyes:
See, this is exactly why this kind of thing bothers me. If you're gonna gobble up processor cycles with stupid UI effects, at least make it somehow improve the UI.

Comment