Googles "it gets better" Commericial: Too soon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jboy123, May 14, 2011.

1. jboy123 macrumors newbie

I like the commercial personally but I can see this commercial coming a little to soon in America. Even now alot of people hate the gay community. What do you think is this commercial a little ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPnJOZYdA

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I agree, not too soon. How ever see networks not showing this add. Those against gays are going to fight tooth and nail for this add not to be shown. :/

Hugh

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Is this Dan Savage as in the savage love cast? I've never seen him so I don't know but that guy is ****** hilarious.

EDIT: Yep its him, way to go Google.

5. 184550 Guest

Does every minority group in America need a commercial like this?

Life is hard for everyone. (Collective) You aren't special or different. Grow a pair.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This is just one of hundreds of these It Gets Better videos. This is a campaign that has been going on for a while. And too soon? No way. This is coming very late in America. Liberty and Justice for all....should actually apply to all of us.

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Perhaps we should make an effort to make it less ****** for one another eh?

8. 184550 Guest

I agree, but it seems like every little cause has a 5k, charity drive, celebrity video campaign, etc...

When does this type of thing diminish the cause(s) in question?

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

How can this possibly diminish the cause? The amount of people they got to do these videos have only helped The Trevor Project and GLSEN. Trying to prevent child/teen suicide isn't "every little cause". And it's not entirely a celebrity video campaign. Thousands of "regular" people, gay & straight, have submitted videos.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If other groups wish to raise awareness for their cause, more power to them. Life is not hard for everyone. Not every teenager is bullied to the point of suicide. "growing a pair" or "maning up" doesn't always work and is, in my opinion, a childish way to deal with the issue of bullying.

11. 184550 Guest

Eh, I guess it just comes across, to me at least, that having some sort of 5k, video campaign, etc... is more of a fashionable thing to do now-a-days then a sincere thing to do.

The bullying may have been the trigger, but people who kill themselves have deeper psychological problems. Some video isn't going to stop one who is truly suffering from that type of problem. Sure it looks nice to have commercial about it or to say your company contributed to the cause, but at the end of the day, it's fluff, fashion and publicity. IMO, at least.

How so?

'Life is hard and then you die.' as they say. Not everyone (collective) you come across is going to pat your head and tell you that you're special. If you don't learn early, you turn out to be a maladjusted young adult.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Life is only as hard as the bully is allowed to make it. It needn't be that way if enough good people stand up to support the victims and show the bullies that they are the outsiders whose behavior is unacceptable. Otherwise it's dog-eat-dog and the biggest dog wins. Not exactly a society I would want to be a part of.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It may seem that way to you, but you're not the target audience. A lot of the kids these videos are speaking to don't have anyone else to turn to. They don't feel that they can tell their parents, their friends, their community, etc...so these videos can and have been lifesavers for some. And you would be surprised about the effect these videos have had for some of these kids. Publicity for organizations like the Trevor Project is a good thing. They need money and the Project has greatly benefitted from it. The great majority of these videos have been done by our community...not celebrities. So, it may be fashionable for companies like Google, Microsoft, and Apple, but they don't represent the majority of the videos.

Edit: That's not to say that gay kids aren't more important than any other kids who are contemplating suicide. This is just one "cause" of many that are worthwhile.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Can you name another minority who currently is being denied fundamental rights?

15. 184550 Guest

I wasn't aware that was the goal of this particular campaign. :confused:

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Did I say it was the goal of the campaign?

Nice attempt to dodge the question, though.

17. FreeState, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Isn't that the point of the commercial? That's basically what Dan says in it, only not in such a harsh way. That being said anti-gay bullying is not the same as bullying kids based on differences that are acceptable to society. Gay kids often have no one to turn to for support, including their families. Suicides among gay teens is way higher than any other teenage group, that's why commercials like this ones are needed. It's not because they can't grow a pair, it's because they have nowhere to turn to to learn the coping skills they need.

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There is a very big difference between being not-congratulated, and being targeted by peers, parents, priests, etc, when you are at your most vulnerable.

Suicide is never really about learning that life is hard; it's about believing that life is impossible.

19. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I just watched it for the 1st time. Absolutely beautiful in every way. Well done Google.:)

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

When it comes to gay rights the US lags well behind countries at a similar level of development (read Western Europe). Maybe campaigns like this will help dispel some of the hate, and lead to the change the US needs to bring about.

21. leekohler, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you don't like it, Don't watch it. You're not the target audience anyway. This was made for gay people to support gay youth, nothing more. This sort of thing would have helped me immensely as a kid. If I had seen something like this, I may not have attempted suicide. You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Just because you don't understand something does not make it wrong. Go crap on something else. Quit s***ing on people for doing something positive for a change. Not sure why people helping others offends you.

This campaign has been great. Nothing like this ever happens too soon.

22. Zaid macrumors 6502

Didn't we have this same discussion when Apple did a similar ad a short while ago?

23. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Sadly some people still don't understand that, for the majority of gay teens (Yes, I am one, although I am now an adult where I live in the UK, and Im generally accepted as its a more accepting culture), there is no support, nobody is there to help, nobody is there to give a damn. Id like to see the commentators who think they should just "grow a pair" go through the amount of trauma me and many (if not all) other gay people go through growing up, while being ignored by everyone, their families, teachers, peers, all while being constantly shunned for something you cannot change. I mean I went through hell, and I live in a relatively accepting country with friends who do accept me. It was still hell. I can only imagine it being worse in the US where the country doesn't even fundamentally accept it at a federal level, let alone further down at the people level.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You hit the nail on the head. It's important that gay kids see things like this, especially in more rural areas like where I grew up. It's really hard for a lot of kids when they feel they stand to lose everything and everyone they love.

Hopefully, people like NathanMuir will never know what that feels like, because it's a level of fear that no one should ever have to feel.