GOP +11 Dems and Lieberman oppose education and border security

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jul 23, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/23/senate-passes-b-war-kills-b-add-ons/
    Education and border security get less than even a simple majority? Really?

As an aside, the Sherrod story makes more sense now:
    Coincidence?

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Something that has to be ask is what other random crap was thrown on that bill.

An example from the past the GOP used as a weapon against Dems was when they voted down bill that would of given armor to the troops. Dems voted it down but the reason they voted it down was GOP had added on a few riders that no dem in their right mind would vote for.

So what were the riders.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You misspelled it. It should read FauxNews.;)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you ever have anything besides snark to add to these discussions anymore?

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

The add-ons were education and border security. The GOP + 11 Dems and Lieberman all voted against military funding with add ons for education and border security. They voted for the bill without the add-ons!

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can still think of any number of reason to block those add ons and I have a feeling that their was some other crap in with thoses that are not being reported.
    Now if they block them as a bill on their own it might be worth something. Hell it even said it was a long shot add in.

8. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I don't believe the federal government should have anything to do with education, except offering low interest loans for secondary education. Dissolve the Department of Education and leave return their budget money to the individual states.

I'm curious as to exactly what "border security" means in this bill.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's right though. If I see Fox News, I dismiss it right away. Let's use better sources, folks.

Another person who would like to see the poor stay just where they are. And of course, you're a Texan. How predictable. I'm sure you'd like sodomy laws back on the books too.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why do conservatives hate the troops and want the terrorists to win so bad?

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm I think you are twisting his words. Under his view it is the States job to handle education. Not the fed.
    They could shrink that department and give more money back to the states.

I also am getting tired of your comments that just paint a broad strokes as stupid or uptight from *blank state*.

Now if they would do what he said their would need to be strings attach it. Like the states can not cut that money out of funding of its state budgeting for education.

As for education being block there could of been some little line in it that would of made them voted it down. Like after the one time deal the states would have to keep funding that extra amount of money.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well, I've been working on developing my rhetorical question skills. Can you help me?

13. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I thought liberals were supposed to be open minded, and not quick to judge. You obviously don't know me since I am not anywhere close to being a social conservative and I'm in fact agnostic. Why would I support sodomy laws? Because I'm a Texan? Because I believe the Department of Education is wasteful you jump to the conclusion I'm some Bible toting conservative? I guess you believe I hate black people too since I'm Texan, nevermind the fact I'm dating a black woman and have been for the last 8 months.

Way to be a open-minded, non-judgmental liberal there buddy.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

That's constructive.

[​IMG]

He mentioned dissolving the DOE, which has nothing to do with keeping people poor, being from Texas, OR sodomy... Oh yeah, I forgot: Only liberals can stereotype. I really need to get with the times!

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Guess that answers my question...

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If we get rid of the DOE, what happens to public ed and ed for the poor? Oh, I know, Texans will rewrite history books to suit their agenda. Wait...already happened. We need a uniform system of public ed in this country, not willy nilly devil may care interpretations of history, science and such.

And if what you mean by "liberal" is "anyone who disagrees with the TEA Party" then I am a damn proud liberal. Otherwise, you're off. You are making assumptions too. You obviously don't know my views very well. There are a lot of liberals here who will tell you I don't necessarily fit in their camp. I'll hand you the broad brush now.

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

If we get rid of the DOE, the Texas DOE will continue to manage its public schools. I never mentioned "Tea Parties," just the fact that you, a liberal, seem to find it ok to make broad generalizations about people from Texas. I then drew on my experience of other liberal posters making the same hasty generalizations about Texas in past threads pertinent to Texas.

It has been demonstrated numerous times. PS can I keep the brush? It really increases my painting efficiency!

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Read my edited post. No ********** way do we let individual states run education without national standards. And keep painting.

19. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Shouldn't generalizatoins about Texans big big... I mean, isn't everything bigger in Texas?

I'm certain there are liberals and independent thinkers in Texas, but clearly they are not the majority... At least not any more.

If I made a generalization about bull-ridin' Texans, then whoops. I'll try not to paint all you Texans with the same oil coated brush next time.

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

?

What swear word did you use??? I cant think of anything that long!

Ill agree to paint you kettle colored if you scratch my back and paint me pot colored :p

I do understand your concern with that, and I think its absolutely ludicrous what Texas is trying to do w/ their textbooks. I am not sure where the line would best be drawn.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pretty simple- keep the DOE and fix what's wrong with it. But most people would rather just throw the baby out with the bathwater and make things even worse. Educational standards would suffer greatly without national standards.

I don't have kids, nor will I ever. But I will gladly pay taxes to keep other people's kids from growing up to be morons. And dammit, you ain't teaching political agendas to kids with my money.

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Oh lee. Don't you realize. Our education problem is HARD. Fixing the DOE would require lots of tough decisions. Don't you see how easy it is just to go "I give up" and let the states worry about it?

(Btw if that DID happen, most states would just use the money to plug holes in their budgets and everything would get much worse in schools.)

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which, in turn, would eventually worsen their budgetary problems. Penny wise, pound foolish.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The mere fact that there are people seriously suggesting we get rid of the DOE is absolutely disturbing to me. I cannot believe anyone would actually think that was a good idea.

25. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's people that are too intimated to want to solve the REAL problem(s) we're having. They're all tough and none involve many easy choices.